News   Apr 19, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 603     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

This may be the wrong site for such a photo but I couldn't resist the temptation of posting this wonderful image of Canada's self-promotion efforts in 1905.
I believe the photo was taken in the USA.

Canadapromotion1905.jpg

"I believe the photo was taken in the USA."
Prof Goldie

That could be, however the sign painter was either Canadian or English having lettered one panel as "FAITHFUL LABOUR".

BTW, plate, not safety glass enclosing the cab.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"I believe the photo was taken in the USA."
Prof Goldie

That could be, however the sign painter was either Canadian or English having lettered one panel as "FAITHFUL LABOUR".

BTW, plate, not safety glass enclosing the cab.

Regards,
J T

What is most interesting to myself is that this is a rubber tired ELECTRIC tram car.

It also appears to be very well lit.

I'm really intrigued by how such rooftop bank signage became a phenomenon going into the 1960s (also cf. the TD at the NE corner in the earlier photo)--esp. since prior to that time, decorum seemed to dictate against such aggressive financial-services advertising/signage (instead, you had rooftop advertising for more profane stuff like food and automobile products).

Dunno where else CIBC roof signs of that scale existed in Toronto--though there were more modest versions, like atop the IOOF building at Yonge + College. (And I remember a few of those TD orb-in-a-flowerpot signs: Vic Park + O'Connor, Bloor & Jane, etc)

There was one just a block over at Mount Pleasant, as seen in this photo from Transit Toronto
bus-8000-35.jpg

King and Bay:

2522695316_2304eeb67b_b-1.jpg

Wow. I've never seen this one before--what a wonderful shot of the death knell for the Bank of Toronto building. I guess I had assumed all the buildings came down at the same time for the TD Centre, or at least for the main tower and banking pavillion. Makes you wonder, for a brief second, could they have retained the old building? It was such a pretty thing, although the Mies pavillion is beautiful in its own right.

'63 Pontiac, '64 Pontiac, '61/'62 Pontiac, Vauxhall, '70? Buick.

Regards,
J T

Back