Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

My point exactly. That is the case in Scarborough. If one lives in Scarborough, lets say along Sheppard East (around Agincourt), and needs to go to York U, how does one do so via transit with minimum of transfers? One will need to transfer twice just to get to the York Rocket at Sheppard/Yonge.

My main point is that in the city, because we have designed the TTC to only have arterial road routes which are mostly long, having an arterial road which requires more than 1 transfer to get from one end of the city to another is terrible and discourages those with cars to switch to transit.

Giambrone is an ardent LRT fan and does not get that in heavily populated corridors subways are better because they don't require widening and chopping off sidewalks and provide faster through speed and higher capacity that attracts more riders than LRT. I talked to him about the idiocy that is Sheppard subway + LRT and he said its no big deal, people can make a quick transfer, there is no demand from Scarborough to North York (well of course not with the lack of a seemless conection).

With Miller+Giambrone at the helm, the TTC will only get more bloated with service continuing to deteriorate.

I don't know whether to call that comment ignorant or arrogant! Wasn't the whole purposed of the Sheppard subway (besides Lastman's dream of creating a 'downtown North York') about creating a crosstown connection between Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke? Now suddenly there isn't demand for a subway along the corridor? WTF? Seriously if demand is so low you might as well convert the whole line to LRT and extend it from York U to STC. I honestly can't believe he made a comment like that.

Giambrone makes comments like that because he doesn't think for himself, he regurgitates paraphrases of quotations he has received from various other people, who often conflict with each-other, and in his inability to resolve such conflicts he manages to simply combine them to produce a response that is illogical and/or plain silly.

Let's not forget that running the DRL into Union Station would arguably be the least convenient option serving the fewest destinations, and offer by far the worst time savings. If the goal is to save money, a subway along Queen could still use the rail corridor for about the same distance.

Giambrone is an ardent LRT fan and does not get that in heavily populated corridors subways are better because they don't require widening and chopping off sidewalks and provide faster through speed and higher capacity that attracts more riders than LRT. I talked to him about the idiocy that is Sheppard subway + LRT and he said its no big deal, people can make a quick transfer, there is no demand from Scarborough to North York (well of course not with the lack of a seemless conection).

With Miller+Giambrone at the helm, the TTC will only get more bloated with service continuing to deteriorate.
Are you serious? You definitely need to give that to the star, as I would love to see it in the headlines :p

I agree with you though, Miller and Giambrone are totally obliterating a golden opportunity for the TTC, and are going to end up slowly strangling the life out of the TTC as time goes on.

Last edited:
Let's not forget that running the DRL into Union Station would arguably be the least convenient option serving the fewest destinations, and offer by far the worst time savings. If the goal is to save money, a subway along Queen could still use the rail corridor for about the same distance.

Least convenient? Running the DRL through Union makes the MOST sense and allows the MOST connections.

I really don't understand where this "DRL via Queen" idea comes from. It would totally obliterate the need for a future Queen Street subway down the road. It's like taking two good ideas and combining them into one mediocre idea which does neither of its goals. Thanks, but no thanks.

We need a DRL NOW! And we shall need a Queen Street Subway in the future. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot by performing a Miller/Giambrone and combining the DRL and Queen lines into one line for expediency.

Wellington makes sense for the DRL. King would make sense if it weren't so difficult to build. Front makes sense and would be by far the least expensive. Queen just doesn't make sense. It misses all the major growth area, misses the major concentration of downtown employment, has weak connections with the PATH, and passes mainly through low-density residential "stable neighbourhoods" outside downtown.

Giambrone was asked at a meeting whether there would be facilities for park and ride at the Malvern end of the Sheppard LRT. He answered that there was no need because the service would be too slow for people commuting downtown.

Giambrone was asked at a meeting whether there would be facilities for park and ride at the Malvern end of the Sheppard LRT. He answered that there was no need because the service would be too slow for people commuting downtown.

That begs the question, if the service is going to be so frakking slow, why are we wasting billions building it?

That begs the question, if the service is going to be so frakking slow, why are we wasting billions building it?
Do you have to ask?
LaRamblaAug07.jpg

The ideology is that people shouldn't travel long distances for work or plan, and instead should remain in their self-contained neighbourhoods. The trouble is that it relies on some kind of Leave it to Beaver ideal of family life, with one member of the household working and Mom having lots of time for leisurely shopping throughout the day. In the real world, Dad might work at a factory and Mom might work at a bank headquarters. There's no way that both of those people are going to be able to work four or five streetcar stops away from one another.

My sense of humour is off here, but isn't it a bit crazy that our tax and zoning policies ensure that the street scene above could never be built here?

I wouldn't want to take a subway all the way from malvern to downtown, that is still to long, time wise, of a trip,

We do a transit service for longer distance travel, it's called GO Transit, why does everyone expect the TTC to do everything? Major improvements are coming to GO, particularly through Scarborough.

We do a transit service for longer distance travel, it's called GO Transit, why does everyone expect the TTC to do everything? Major improvements are coming to GO, particularly through Scarborough.

Because Malvern is part of Toronto, and the TTC is supposed to serve Toronto. If residents in Malvern travel more than 2km a day, then the TTC should plan around that.

Back