Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

It looks like an outdoor sitting area between the two buildings. The stairs on the 18 York side climb over the underground parking entrance off of Bremner. Most of the PATH connections in this block are on the second level so this could also be a way to access the PATH without entering the lobbies on the street level, at least that's my speculation.

I'm not getting any hopes up for the office component until I hear about a lead tenant ... no matter what the press release indicates. I doubt they'll go ahead otherwise, which makes it surprising they mention dates in the article, the hotel I can see though.

I'm not getting any hopes up for the office component until I hear about a lead tenant ... no matter what the press release indicates. I doubt they'll go ahead otherwise, which makes it surprising they mention dates in the article, the hotel I can see though.

Here we go again...lets just wait and see what happens.

It all looks like pretty standard infill. It doesn't look like too much to get excited about in a positive way - the renderings and plans are par-for-the-course unexceptional, and if the standard set by the finishes on 18 York are anything to go by, at least we can say the renderings are at least not setting us up for a fall.
It's got the double of 18 York, with a touch of pseudo-Telus, a dab of mock Ritz, sidled up to by a blandly chamfered tower - and apparently, a bit of stolen exterior staircase from Royal Bank Plaza. (Not to insult Royal Bank Plaza!).

It's almost enough to make you wish for another Jack Diamond building. But seriously, given the amount of sensitive, progressive and fascinating archtecture going up globally, it does make one does wish for something with a bit more pep and vim. Because this looks a lot more like "building" than "architecture".

Last edited:
Looks like the lobby will just be an open concept with the elevator banks in the middle.

Is this to save on construction costs?

While I do quite like the Delta tower, I can't understand the popularity of the plain glass box design for office tenants. Why is this desirable among companies basing themselves in our city? Would big corporations not prefer a distinctive, original design that sets them apart, rather then a clone of Bay Adelaide Centre (a bland copy of a bland building)? I have also noticed a strange trend in this town, beginning with towers such as the Festival Tower and the Ritz, to dress up the bottom few floors or podium with plenty of eye catching bric-a-brac, while leaving the tower portion simple and undetailed. Why is this? is it a form of 'the cheapening'? Do developers really think that people will only notice the first few floors of the tower, and fail to look up at the rest? Why not continue that small amount of creativity all the way up the tower? I would be curious to see what Will Alsop's solution would be to the boring box blues.

Didn't the newsrelease also say that the towers would be inter-connected by an urban forest? I don't really see that in the renders or the city planning docs.

I wonder if the folks at MLSE are kicking themselves for not proceeding with the office building at ICE. Opportunity lost. it will be years now before the opportunity comes by again.

That is indeed the big question: who will be the lead tenant here? If they had one, you would think it would have been a prominent part of the announcement. If they don't yet have one, I will join you in not getting hopes too high. I wonder if this is being announced now mainly as a preemptive strike directed at a possible development at 45 Bay Street.

I wonder if the folks at MLSE are kicking themselves for not proceeding with the office building at ICE. Opportunity lost. it will be years now before the opportunity comes by again.

who said they were not proceeding with the office building?

who said they were not proceeding with the office building?

I think the previous post was implying that if this office building proceeds quickly it would make the business case for the ICE office tower a bit more difficult - with the chance of oversupplying the market

Back