Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Both would be fine, yes. I haven't read all 300 posts in this thread, but is "both" even a serious option? Is there room for everything in the rail corridor?

Judging by the Yamanote line, yes, absolutely there is room! Seriously, though, that's a massive coridor and there's no reason why you couldn't have four tracks, two for VIA and blue 22, and two for GO.

Still a lot of unanswered questions, though I really fear the new EA process will make it even easier to ram through an unacceptable solution, like how Transit City is going forward.

The last time around, the EA called for Blue 22, with a potential stop at Bloor, and track capacity where GO only promised modest improvements, and explicitly did not plan for even hourly Lakeshore-style all day service. The last solution was completely unacceptable. Will the new one actually recognize the need for regional rail as the prioirity, and will the GTTA (I still can't get over the awful new name) push for the solution that most here say they want to see?

Will our taxes go to pay for a private rail link that excludes so many potential users?

I don't get it, though...what's wrong with blue 22 if there's a parallel regional rail service too? They serve different markets. Isn't more rail service, more cars off the roads, more convenient access to downtown a good thing?

I guess, two problems. First of all, some of the Weston corridor's width will be essentially taken up by the Blue 22 tracks, rather than used by a GO route serving both the Pearson to Union trips and the wider market (North Etobicoke, Brampton, Pearson employees). Secondly, once a substantial amount of public funds is spent to build Blue 22, spending another chunk for GO service in the same corridor will be a hard sell.

I guess, two problems. First of all, some of the Weston corridor's width will be essentially taken up by the Blue 22 tracks, rather than used by a GO route serving both the Pearson to Union trips and the wider market (North Etobicoke, Brampton, Pearson employees). Secondly, once a substantial amount of public funds is spent to build Blue 22, spending another chunk for GO service in the same corridor will be a hard sell.

It's not like GO service will be removed to add Blue 22.

The existing GO service will not be removed of course, but the funding for service enhancements, like more tracks or a new station at Eglinton, will be harder to obtain.

Exactly. Not too mention once the GTAA and all parties also invest their portion in starting up Blue 22 they are going to be unlikely to want to put anymore money into a new station and service at Pearson.

Rail service to Pearson should be done right from the start. There is nothing wrong with some useful interim solutions to help make it easier to get to and from the airport. There is nothing wrong with phasing in various service at various times, depending on project schedules and planning. And the argument that just because it isn't proposed now doesn't mean it can't exist. Metrolinx wasn't even around when the idea was first proposed and that fact alone could be enough to justify redeveloping a plan based on a much different way of thinking about rail transportation than even just a few years ago.

I'd think that a publicly owned rail link to Pearson should be built first, capable of running frequent service and consistent with other transit enhancements in the Weston corridor.

After that, if a private operator wants to run a premium price express service concurrently with the regular GO service, let them do so (but with no subsidy, and they have to contribute a fair share of the track maintenance and operating costs).

if this private express train is such a needed and important service, why does it need public funding? if it's gonna be profitable & the ridership will be there, why does the tax payer have to pay for it?

something stinks. government pork is not kosher.

something stinks. government pork is not kosher.

So, whack it on the head and get rid of it. Fast
cfa.jpg

On a side note, I can't think of a more embarassing way to enter a city than on a 60 year old railcar. I think that even Cubans would find this charmingly antiquated.

Why are we still supporting diesel driven locomotives when the rest of the modern world are moving on to pollution free electrofied trains. I dont blame the people in Weston for not being happy I live by the Lakeshore train corridor and i can tell you these old junkers are smelly and noisy.
Toronto is a modern city and wants to be a world class city,why dont we just go for the best,Years ago when they built City Hall The CN Tower, Ontario Place,etc,our governments were not affraid of the challanges
now we are just whimps and wait for everyone else to build and develop before we decide. This process is taking way to long by the different levels of government which at the end means we are not gettin the best deal for this wonderfull city.

This is what we should be looking at as an Airport Link
Hey its manafacured by a Canadian company.
df07192004c1.jpg

^^ That belongs at the Airport People Mover, not on the Weston Corridor where the residents will complain of elevated guideways.

I go back to my plan: improve the Weston corridor to 4 tracks, improve service, and link the People Mover with the Malton GO Station. If the GTAA wants to build a short spur to the airport as an express line, then do so with private money.

The existing GO service will not be removed of course, but the funding for service enhancements, like more tracks or a new station at Eglinton, will be harder to obtain.

I would be very happy if we could kill off this ridiculous Eglinton Station idea. Why have a staiton that is spitting distance from another?

Edit: I should note, it might make sense if it interchanges with the Eglinton Crosstown, but right now, to have GO stop at Weston, Eglinton, Bloor is a bit much. GO shouldn't run as a local service.

Back