Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Apple stores look like some weird government propaganda home base. Which is kind of fitting for the mindless consumer drones that shop there for their yearly minor upgrades that they so desperately need. It probably means they will be demolishing the existing building too. It wouldn't really be a big loss though.

We've heard from a reliable source Apple has purchased 1 Bloor West or currently the site of Stollery's. More here.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/02/apple-open-1-bloor-west

I was raising the issue on the One Bloor East thread some tyime ago...
It so obvious , that this site with some very substantial land assembly along Yonge St.( to mirror One Bloor East) is beggind to be transformed into something very tall and exciting ( old facades can be incorporated into it too)!

so what about the other issue that there has been some land assembly along Yonge?

will the new Apple be more than just Stollery's site?

too bad it'll be only 3 s ....
build a 50+s tower with Apple as the base, with suites called iPads, iPods, iSuite, with iPHome units on the top floor.

like other Apple products, it seems if you build it, someone will buy it.

Last edited:
For such a prominent corner it would seem weird to just have an Apple Store there and not a taller development shortly along the line. Great location though! Is it possible they'd put one there and then move when 1BE or another large tower opens?

Guess they can't wait for 1 Bloor E, huh...

Stollery's really needs to go. It's really out of place.

I don't understand, how is it out of place? Because its an 100 year old building an not a 50 story condo or an Apple store?

Or is it because its a high-end mens wear store? This stretch of Bloor is turning into your typical suburban mall with stores like H&M, French Connection, Talbots, Swarovski now an Apple store.

I always had a dream that I would buy the store, gut the interior and revamp the brand, and then build a luxe apartment tower above that would integrate the original design with some modernity. If only I'd had a couple more years... :( haha. Tragic.

gristle:

Still stand by what I've said re: the site - though I am fairly certain the Apple store will be a destination (sic place of worship). Leave it there long enough and it'd be a heritage structure even - there goes the plans for ever having a tower on that site.

I wonder what the greater effect the store will have on Yonge Street - are there any historical examples of Apple stores being the spark for gentrifying a similar strip?

AoD

Last edited:
3 storeys would be under utilizing this corner, for sure.....

It will be a very serious flagship indeed if Apple is actually buying the site, just considering what it is worth. I believe a lot of the flagships in other cities are leased.

AoD

My sources indicated that the Stollery's were going to lease the land to Apple. They know that the store is not worth anything but the land is worth a lot of money... The store has 2 ownership groups: the Stollery family as well as a family that was given part ownership and which managed the store.

gristle:

Still stand by what I've said re: the site - though I am fairly certain the Apple store will be a destination (sic place of worship). Leave it there long enough and it'd be a heritage structure even - there goes the plans for ever having a tower on that site.

I wonder what the greater effect the store will have on Yonge Street - are there any historical examples of Apple stores being the spark for gentrifying a similar strip?

AoD

AoD, I love the placed of worship designation; I've thought of that, too. Apple stores I have visited in various cities have all assumed church-like layouts, make no mistake about it - it's dynamite retailing.

Thanks for the additional info pw20.

They could put in something what they did in Ginza, Tokyo - 8 floors - with 5 totally used by Apple and 3 additional shared office floors. Don't think the economics will work the same way here though.

AoD

EDIT: Apparently the Ginza store was a conversion
http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/ginza/index.html

Last edited:

Back