News   Mar 28, 2024
 145     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 

Speakers have big dreams for Mississauga

My god Toronto only has one airport, and one that only allows prop planes at that. What's wrong with Toronto?

It elects people like Miller and Sewell. :)

How could a "city" that was formed by the amalgamation of a bunch of little hamlets in the 70s be compared to a real city?

Wait, I've heard of this happening before... quite some time ago... names swim up to me from the past... little rural communities like Brooklyn... Staten Island... the hamlets around the farm of the Bronck family...

Well, not to mention, Weston, Willowdale, Yorkville, Rexdale, Leaside, etc., etc., etc.

What's wrong with that statement? It's true... No great city has massive multi-lane free-flowing arterials with turning lanes everywhere. Every great city has severe congestion and long travel times in its core.

Oh, I knew there was a reason I used to sigh, zipping around McCallionville, spending more time at the place I was actually going to than getting to it and from it, and all the while thinking wow, this city can never be great...

Thanks for reminding us. :D

Then you will have more people making connections at intersections, and before you know it, there will be retail popping up at those intersections to get people to come in. Then you will have people walking on sidewalks.

Let me see if I understand the underlying logic of the plan here. The idea is to make it harder and less convenient for people to get where they (presumably) have to go, like jobs, so they can mill around in on some street corner in all weather instead making their connections at a central terminal that can route them anywhere, in the hopes that someone trying to figure out where to put his bait and tackle shop will eventually notice them as he drives by and parachute his business in, all so that people will... use the sidewalks more.

It's a shame they're not producing Yes, Minister anymore. This is a winner script. :)

If they want to get people on the sidewalks, they need to stop all the buses from terminating and starting at Square One, and just stay on their streets.
Burnhamthorpe bus should not go into Square one. Same with the Hurontario Bus.
Then you will have more people making connections at intersections, and before you know it, there will be retail popping up at those intersections to get people to come in. Then you will have people walking on sidewalks.
Although to be honest, there are a lot more people walking on the sidewalks of Hurontario around Burnhamthorpe and south of Burnhamthorpe lately.

Very good points.

Mississauga Transit already has the highest rate of transfers of all the 905 systems. Forcing riders to transfer even more just for small increases to pedestrian traffic seems like a bad idea.

If you want to create street life in Mississauga, you do it by creating high-density and mixed-use developments, not by inconveniencing transit riders.

If you want to create street life in Mississauga, you do it by creating high-density and mixed-use developments, not by inconveniencing transit riders.

There will never be any high desnity or mixed-use development or retail along the streets until there are people walking on the streets first. No business owner would be stupid enough to try such a thing, without first making sure there will be customers.

There will never be any high desnity or mixed-use development or retail along the streets until there are people walking on the streets first. No business owner would be stupid enough to try such a thing, without first making sure there will be customers.

Forcing bus riders to transfer doesn't create pedestrain traffic, especially if ridership plummets at the same time. Historic neighborhoods like Streetsville seem to be built fine without doing this.

I am glad you are not a transit planner, otherwise there would be only be one bus to Square One and I would have to take 3 different buses to get there.

Forcing bus riders to transfer doesn't create pedestrain traffic, especially if ridership plummets at the same time. Historic neighborhoods like Streetsville seem to be built fine without doing this.

I am glad you are not a transit planner, otherwise there would be only be one bus to Square One and I would have to take 3 different buses to get there.

Hmmm people in Toronto don't seem to mind doing connections at intersections. Or even people at Hurontario/Dundas for that matter.
There are FAR too many connections at the bus terminal.
And everyone in Mississauga whines far too much. People have been waiting at intersections for buses for a long time now. It's not an inconvenience. It's just the way it is.
As far as not being a transit planner, there is no need to try to insult me. I'm just throwing out an idea and an opinion.

3 Different streets served by MT pass by Square One. Hurontario, Burnhamthorpe and Rathburn. You wont need to take 3 different buses since all 3 roads get you to Square One. You can stop being lazy and just walk from one of those stops to Square One. I doubt it would be a major inconvenience to most transit users since most people aren't even trying to get to Square One in the first place. It would be a lot easier to take a bus south on Mavis and go straight to Dundas instead of detouring to Square One and transferring or continuing south.

Hmmm people in Toronto don't seem to mind doing connections at intersections. Or even people at Hurontario/Dundas for that matter.

Yes good point, MT ALREADY has a grid-like system. Toronto also has a grid-like system, but note how I say grid-like, not pure grid. Even the streetcar system is not a pure grid. The streetcars do turn.

I doubt it would be a major inconvenience to most transit users since most people aren't even trying to get to Square One in the first place.

Then why is route 19 way busier than 202 during rush hour?

3 Different streets served by MT pass by Square One. Hurontario, Burnhamthorpe and Rathburn. You wont need to take 3 different buses since all 3 roads get you to Square One.

Only one road passes by the terminal: Rathburn. And you do realize there is a major GO station and future transitway station there, right?

It would be a lot easier to take a bus south on Mavis and go straight to Dundas instead of detouring to Square One and transferring or continuing south.

99% of the riders on Mavis get off at Square One. And it is a pretty busy route too, but only north of Square One.

Then why is route 19 way busier than 202 during rush hour?
Because they need to make connections at the bus terminal.
Let's say you got rid of most of most routes connecting at the bus terminal, and had more of a grid type of system. All of a sudden, that 202 would be packed. I used to take the 202 to get to Eglinton to catch the 35 Eglinton to Dixie, instead of taking the 19 to Square One, to catch the 18 or 7. Saved me time and I could leave my house later.

I don't think you need to have such grand schemes as gondolas, a new University etc... to make Mississauga a better place.

Setting something up on the waterfront with nice public spaces where the powerplant was is a not a bad idea.

Mixed use planning and pedestrian/transit oriented development would make a pretty nice change as well.

I'm sure the people here in this forum could come up with better and more practical ideas.

So let's have it people, what's in your Mississauga wish list?

I think Mississauga Transit is sufficiently grid-like. There are some routes that aren't grid-like, like the 9 and the 10, and that's fine. I think the grid routes vastly outnumber the non-grid routes anyway.

(This is NOT an exhaustive list....just looking at the route map for a few minutes)

Grid Routes

1 Dundas
3 Bloor
5 Dixie
19 Hurontario
20 Rathburn
23 Lakeshore
35 Eglinton
38 Creditview
39 Britannia
45 Winston Churchill
51 Tomken
66 McLaughlin

Semi-Grid
13 Glen Erin (services Erin Mills half the time)
48 Erin Mills (doesn't service all of Erin Mills, which is why I'm putting it here)
61 Mavis (for that weird thing it does south of Square One)

Non-Grid Routes
4 Sherway
7 Airport
8 Grand Tour of Mississauga (my name for it)
9 Rathburn-Miller's Grove (aka Streetsville)
10 Bristol-Britannia (aka Meadowvale)
49 Churchill Meadows

Back