Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

They are paving Cherry Street today from Eastern Avenue going south. At the April West Don Lands Committee they said they hoped to reopen Cherry by July 1 - looks as though it may actually happen. (I assume Front and Mill will still be closed and that they will fence-off the east side of Cherry.) GO transit are supposed to be fixing up the rail bridge on Cherry later this year but I guess they can do this and still keep the road open.

A picture of said paving, at sunset on May 2nd.
Was there not supposed to be street car tracks installed along here?

CherrySt1.jpg

Attachments

• CherrySt1.jpg
    CherrySt1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 951
The streetcar tracks run parallel to the street on the east side. Service on them will begin after the games due to security concerns.

I don't suppose they're going to lay paving stones over that asphalt. Too bad.
The sidewalks on Cherry will have pavers.

Projectend said: The streetcar tracks run parallel to the street on the east side. Service on them will begin after the games due to security concerns.

The rails have been welded into long sections and are waiting on Cherry south of Commissioners Street. I assume they will be laid this year and the TTC has announced that they will be installing the junction at King Street in the fall. (Service will not start until after the Games for two reasons; security and because the loop at the rail bridge is on land needed for the PAG and the loop track will not be installed until the Games are finished.)

The sidewalks on Cherry will have pavers.

Projectend said: The streetcar tracks run parallel to the street on the east side. Service on them will begin after the games due to security concerns.

The rails have been welded into long sections and are waiting on Cherry south of Commissioners Street. I assume they will be laid this year and the TTC has announced that they will be installing the junction at King Street in the fall. (Service will not start until after the Games for two reasons; security and because the loop at the rail bridge is on land needed for the PAG and the loop track will not be installed until the Games are finished.)

The entire sidewalk or just a little strip ?

I should get a picture of the new sidewalk on Hi-way 7 ... the entire thing is paves, looks very good ... I'm sure Toronto is too cheap to do the same.

I am sure that these threads will explode with photos from the many Jane's Walks tomorrow but will post anyway. Photos taken 2 May 2013.

IMG_4293_1-L.jpg

IMG_4297_1-L.jpg

IMG_4300_1-L.jpg

IMG_4303_1-L.jpg

Cherry Street with the section on the left for streetcar tracks. I noticed today for the first time that the street will take a noticeable shift to the east as you approach the underpass and that the tower at the end will actually terminate the view for those moving south on Cherry on the west side.

IMG_4367_1-L.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the white paved street, its nice ! But I wish it was red brick.

8710257923_10eb662a6b_c.jpg

Taken Saturday, May 4th.

Another picture picture from a bit further away courtesy of SkyJacked on top of L Tower crane:

8716632308_581c849eb9_h.jpg

I got curious about the two heritage buildings in the middle of the construction site and found an old but very interesting West Don Lands Precinct Plan from 2005. There I found the reference to the two buildings at the intersection of Front and Cherry Streets: on the left is the former CN Railway Police Building and on the right the Canary Restaurant. They also write "This intersection forms the heart of the community that emerges here over time, with the historic buildings at the corners, providing a key link to the area’s past."

Today I noticed they started installing the cladding for the George Brown building (or a test of it). No blue stripes yet, but it looks quite nice and glossy.

img2365vd.jpg

img2366pi.jpg

The gates to the construction site were open so I sneaked in for a better view.

img2368o.jpg

img2369q.jpg

img2370ek.jpg

Back