News   Apr 19, 2024
 90     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 746     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.3K     2 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess after every conceivable variation on the box is built in Toronto, we'll get another complete round of homages to every conceivable variation on the box...will we get homages to homages (neo-boxes?) after that?

I really miss the curves :(
I like the podium, but it does need more. It's a bit too plain now.

What is this about the balconies? What kind of technology are they using? What's so special about them?

I liked the curved design myself, it seemed bolder and sexier to me. The first photo shows that the base does indeed meet the entrance to the subway in the Xerox building so no need to consult the physic who works that corner now. Mystery solved.

The Evolution of a major Toronto skyscraper during design phase:

1. Curvy, sexy tower with prominent roof element.
2. Less curvy, less sexy tower with modest roof element.
3. No curves, interesting variation of box with roof element.
4. Slight variation of box with roof element.
5 Slight variation of box.
6. Box.

Repeat.

The podium is quite lovely and really seems to belong on Bloor Street. The fact the building will be completely wrapped by the glass "sleeve" (enclosed balconies with sliding glass panels) does sound unique and interesting.

The only thing that makes no sense (with no reference) is the crown... there must be something better than this to market "iconic" successfully.

As for you "box" cry babies... you have become blinded by your obsessive, rectilinear phobias. Most of the building is looking damn nice.

i generally like the redesign, the idea of the partially enclosed balconies is kinda cool. reading the article, however, i really detest this line, as marketing-contrived as it may be:

"the podium's roof will be a kind of suburban wonderland... high above Yonge + Bloor"

I don't want the word "suburban" mentioned along with the project EVER.

Something like this for the crown would be much less "prehistoric" looking.

steg.jpg

1bloorz.jpg

For comparison's sake...

THIS:

new1podium.jpg

INSTEAD OF THIS:

old1podium.jpg

GOING HERE:

DSCN0895.jpg

(And then, as seen through the eyes of a transformed Bloor Street).

improve1.jpg

It's all good. Can't wait.

Well, there are still a number of questions about this project, including whether or not they'll be getting an increase in the height allowed (the ad blurb in the Condo Guide does say it will be the tallest residential structure in the country, but we haven't heard of an official request to increase the height), but we do know now that it does include everything up to the Xerox tower. That previous rendering really made the Bloor Street frontage look short; the new one looks more realistic.

i sincerely, very sincerely, hope that the TD Bank that is in the podium on the rendering will not actually be there and is just the artist having some fun. We do not need yet another bank on that corner... 2 of 4 is already enough.

^^ I'd rather TD than National Car Rental.

But you're right, this corner should be the home of major retailers and not a chain, banks or other service.

But the green and white of the TD logo would work so well with the green and white of Starbucks which will undoubtably go in here, given the pedestrian traffic and the lack of above ground Starbucks in this area and that chain's preference for being on major corners.

Those renderings never ever ever ever have anything to do with what's going to go in the base of the buildings. It would be a very odd retailer indeed that would sign a lease for space that won't be available for another three years at least - they generally need to be able to respond more quickly than that to market forces.

Nooo. We have to have a whole page about the imaginary retailers in a rendering!!!

(the retailers will be a few mainstream chain stores that can pony up the sure-to-be-huge rent. Deal with it everybody!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back