Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

54 more floors??

7333142242_42a16abd89_b.jpg

I was on the fence in my opinion of this building up to this point, based on the renders. But if you compare what's been built so far to the renders, it looks like this could turn out to be the most spectacularly ugly building the city has ever seen. The people who championed this thing should be really nervous. But it'll probably still light up beautifully at night ... too bad for this thing that night isn't 24 hrs/day.

this could turn out to be the most spectacularly ugly building the city has ever seen.
A bit harsh don't you think? Look at the above photo. I can see an uglier building right away.

Of course it looks busy, its not done yet! The busyness comes from all the uncompleted glazing, it will look much more cohesive when finished. I'm still on the fence about this one.

Of course it's difficult to judge a building until it's complete, but so far Aura has stayed remarkably true to the rendering, even down to the window wall, spandrel and precast. This is exactly what we're getting here, and personally I'm quite satisfied with it. Not a stunner, but certainly not ugly.

123-1906.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/aura-college-park

Last edited:
Once the pure curtainwall section up higher gets going this will look 100x better than the big plad sides it looks like now.

I hope you're right. I pass by this site approximately every other day, and lately I'm getting a bit nervous about the plaid effect. What the heck, I'll try to stay open minded, maybe a nod to our plaid past is not a bad thing. Oh, my bad, my bad!

I must be the only one that's really enjoying this plaid effect. It's far more interesting to stare at than a totally featureless expanse of glass. Give me texture.

I must be the only one that's really enjoying this plaid effect. It's far more interesting to stare at than a totally featureless expanse of glass. Give me texture.

I'm keeping an open mind, actually, wanting to see how the rest of the glazing works in with it. In all frankness I'd love to see some other builder play on the temporary red canopy for keeps. We need more off the wall fun in this town.

Actually it is indeed too early to judge, I kinda jumped the gun and came to a conclusion. Once the rest of the building is built it could very well take away from the busyness!!!

Back