Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

New sidewalk has opened on south side of Bloor east of Church Street:

3054372509_53983fc98a_b.jpg

3054375501_656f1e93ed_b.jpg

hmm looks decent, got a ton of dirt on it now though,

How did it look in person Mike?

Wow, that is pretty freakin' nice!! What a difference this sort of thing can make. If we could clean up the streets and sidewalks like this and plant more trees all over the city I'd gladly forego any more condo highrises!! (ducking)

I would trade every building currently under construction for the full burial of hydro wires and a massive street tree programme.

I'd give away everything north of Bloor in exchange for cleared sidewalks in the winter and no giant dirty slush ponds to step in at every intersection.

Some of the new lighting standards are going up along here now too.

I would trade every building currently under construction for the full burial of hydro wires and a massive street tree programme.

I would think the opposite is more likely. That we would need to multiply the amount of development by 10 fold to accelerate burial of hydro wires and start a massive street rebuild program.

^^^^^^Are they planning on replacing the traffic light standards with something a little less MTO utilitarian?

Doubt it. Even the Downtown-Yonge BIA poles, different from anything else, still go with the standard yellow 12-8-8 lights with full yellow backing, which clashes with the red and black poles themselves. Using black 12-12-12 lights with no backing, or a minimal black border, would be such an improvement. Even moving the lights out from overhead and directly to the vertical poles would help. Kingston, Richmond Hill, and a few other places have gone to black casings and backs downtown, while even Hamilton's black and yellow lights look a bit better.

Doubt it. Even the Downtown-Yonge BIA poles, different from anything else, still go with the standard yellow 12-8-8 lights with full yellow backing, which clashes with the red and black poles themselves. Using black 12-12-12 lights with no backing, or a minimal black border, would be such an improvement. Even moving the lights out from overhead and directly to the vertical poles would help. Kingston, Richmond Hill, and a few other places have gone to black casings and backs downtown, while even Hamilton's black and yellow lights look a bit better.

That sucks. Ontario is pretty anal about things like this. Even the traffic lights around Parliament Hill are the standard yellow, albeit 12-12-12s, with a grey backing that kind of blend them in somewhat. They're still hung over the street on obtrusive arms that ruin the magnificent views of the Parliament buildings. In fact, you can often see them peeking out over the corner of Wellington and Elgin on Remembrance Day TV broadcasts.

The light standards on the north side of Bloor have already been replaced and they're standard poles with white LED lighting.

Last week I noticed that some of the old light standards had not yet been removed, the new one's seem somewhat higher. Perhaps 1 or 2 meters higher.

The light standards on the north side of Bloor have already been replaced and they're standard poles with white LED lighting.

I'm a tad skeptical about LED street lighting. Ever since they replaced the lights on Spadina Avenue with these white LED lights, I feel like it has lost a lot of warmth at night, and quite simply, they are just not as bright as the old ones.

Back