News   Apr 16, 2024
 183     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

Map:

Toronto-Transit-Plan-map-en1.jpg

Just think of all the extra riders being channeled into the Yonge line... Good thing it's nowhere near capacity

Just think of all the extra riders being channeled into the Yonge line... Good thing it's nowhere near capacity

How exactly was the alternative avoiding this? I'm assuming you are talking about the absence of the Jane and Don Mills LRT's as relief for the Yonge line. Both were shelved/pushed back to the 25 year metrolinx plan

Speaking of funding, there's a fun exchange with the mayor and the media about how he intends to fund the Sheppard subway line:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/03/31/funding-questions-linger-after-new-transit-plan-announced/

Q: Mayor Ford obviously you campaigned on subways but you also campaigned on spending less and reducing the city’s debt. Now essentially you’re going to get $4.2-bilion from the private sector. Isn’t that essentially borrowing and can the city afford to borrow that money?

Ford: Well actually, as you know in the first hundred days our city government saved the taxpayer $67-million. I campaigned on building subways, I was clear that we’re going to build subways and I’m doing exactly what I campaigned for nine months. People want subways, people do not want to have another St. Clair Avenue experience, budgeting $40-million, and then taxpayers spending $120 million…

Q: But do people want to borrow $4.2-billion for subways?

Ford: Thank you. Next question?

(Reporters protest, and pose the question again)

Q: Do people want to borrow $4.2-billion Mr. Mayor?

(Mayor takes another question)

Q: Is this enough to get you to call off Ford Nation that you threatened to attack the Premier with?

Mayor: This is about subways. The taxpayers do not want Transit City, they were loud and clear. We are building subways, exactly what I was elected to do.

Q: But do people want to borrow $4.2-billion Mayor Ford for that subway?

Mayor: The private sector is going to build the subways. In a very competitive marketplace, it could come under $4-billion.

Q: But we’re still borrowing money aren’t we?

Mayor: I’m not quite sure where taxpayers money is coming in, when we’re using private money.

Q: Because you have to repay those private financiers with taxes and development charges that you would collect later. That’s called borrowing.

Mayor: All the details still have to come out, but it will be built with private money… with some help with the provincial and federal government.

Q: Mayor Ford, what do you have to say to the people on Finch Avenue this morning?

Mayor: We’re going to improve the bus service and they will get subways within ten years. I committed to Sheppard, and I’m delivering what I committed to. And within ten years, if people want Finch, then we’ll get a subway there too. Right now, all I can do is build Sheppard, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

lololol. I'm going to say it here: Sheppard is as good as dead unless Ford can scrounge up some Federal and Provincial funding.

Last edited:
well hopefully some more businesses move to Yonge Eglinton and Yonge Sheppard. Then at least the added people on the Yonge line would be going the opposite way of transit. I cant see how both the Sheppard Line and the Eglinton Line wont result in significant business development in these two areas of Toronto.. I dont expect the AAA list companies to move but smaller businesses would surely see the benefits of these two new transportation Hubs..... I would suggest ST. George and yonge bloor would have gained business if it wasnt for both the University of Toronto and for the ultra high end Yorkville. Yonge and Sheppard / Yonge and Eglinton wont have either of these obsticles.

How exactly was the alternative avoiding this? I'm assuming you are talking about the absence of the Jane and Don Mills LRT's as relief for the Yonge line. Both were shelved/pushed back to the 25 year metrolinx plan

Don't get me wrong, that was a big problem with Transit city in my opinion, even with Don Mills and Jane (which were both ending on BD, still putting pressure on Bloor-Yonge). It's just frustrating that there's no serious talk about putting subways where they are most needed and the demand is, the DRL. Unfortunately that's a bit of a dead horse at this point, but $12B could've made a serious start with the DRL, eglinton LRT (with the original above-ground Don Mills-Kennedy) and BRT/LRT lines for the less-dense suburbs. Wish we had actual transit planners planning transit, not politicians.

Don't get me wrong, that was a big problem with Transit city in my opinion, even with Don Mills and Jane (which were both ending on BD, still putting pressure on Bloor-Yonge). It's just frustrating that there's no serious talk about putting subways where they are most needed and the demand is, the DRL. Unfortunately that's a bit of a dead horse at this point, but $12B could've made a serious start with the DRL, eglinton LRT (with the original above-ground Don Mills-Kennedy) and BRT/LRT lines for the less-dense suburbs. Wish we had actual transit planners planning transit, not politicians.

Absolutely. Yet Miller ignored the DRL and now so is Ford. Ford is reacting to the existing conditions which was the Sheppard and Eglinton LRT, just as Miller reacted to existing conditions at his time which were the completed Sheppard subway and urge to revive the cancelled Eglinton line.

I'm not saying Ford is right and Miller was wrong, hell I'll criticize both, and yes DRL should begin and end any conversation on public transit in Toronto period. Until someone puts some serious weight behind the DRL there will always be a gaping hole in any plan.

Absolutely. Yet Miller ignored the DRL and now so is Ford. Ford is reacting to the existing conditions which was the Sheppard and Eglinton LRT, just as Miller reacted to existing conditions at his time which were the completed Sheppard subway and urge to revive the cancelled Eglinton line.
for
I'm not saying Ford is right and Miller was wrong, hell I'll criticize both, and yes DRL should begin and end any conversation on public transit in Toronto period. Until someone puts some serious weight behind the DRL there will always be a gaping hole in any plan.

This might be a good time to start contacting your local councillor or media outlet and explaining to them why the DRL will benefit the city and them. The only thing needed for the DRL to go forward is a continuous media campagin that will keep the issue in people's minds.

Ford would look at a map and claim that downtown already has a subway - you have to experience the crowding firsthand to realize how bad it is.

And Ford would experience it even more first hand since he'd take up more space.

Seriously.. What's the point of these jokes about Ford's weight?

I understand some of you can't stand him, but what does his appearance have to do with his government. Miller was a tubby at first too, Smitherman is bald - does that somehow prevent them from governing? Jeez, a bit of respect here ladies and gentlemen.

I would have made just as many short jokes about Mayor Joe Pants as I do make fat jokes about Mayor Ford. Probably more actually. Mayor George would have been tougher....people get touchy about gay jokes, and bald jokes don't do anything for me....maybe jokes about him strangling staffers? Anyway, it's not personal, and it's certainly not partisan.

People made fun of Miller for being a pretty boy (which I don't understand, but whatever). Sue Ann Levy kept on referring to him as "his blondeness" in her columns.

People made fun of Miller for being a pretty boy (which I don't understand, but whatever). Sue Ann Levy kept on referring to him as "his blondeness" in her columns.

People find creative ways to bash a politician they don't agree with, no matter what the circumstances are. It is the history of being a politics. ;) I don't think anyone can genuinely consider Miller a pretty-boy.

As other have said, Ford can be called the fatty mayor, Smitherman would have no doubt had to deal with the gay jokes... Politicians have to have the resolve to deal with the fact that the most childish, most lowest form of getting a point across will happen at one point or another. Just look at the naked photo spread with Ford. It comes with the territory...

Back