Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Sheraton needs to keep their main tower, and redevelop the horrible mid-rise and concrete bunker podium building. Oh, and go Ritz. Woo.

^ Agreed. Leave the main tower as is, but the rest seriously needs to be demolished. It's absolutely terrible at street level on one of the most important stretches of Queen street. In hindsight it would have been much better to keep the (by then) ratty looking Victorian commercial strip that was torn down in the 60's for the hotel - I bet it would have been a trendy and lively area by now, kind of like the south side of King between John and Spadina. Instead we have a soul sucking, street deadening, splotchy grey bunker incapable of providing an engaging retail environment.

Last edited:
What would keep any remake of the Sheraton's street presence problematic is that massively space intensive driveway into City Hall's underground parking lot in the south sidewalk. Couldn't that parking garage get by on the other 3 entry points alone? Get rid of the one on the south side of Queen, and a makeover of the Sheraton's street presence might have a chance of succeeding.

And now, to get this thread back on track, the Ritz does not have a massive parking garage entrance on its sidewalk creating a barrier. Go Ritz. Woo.

The Ritz has parking, as I recall the hole was deeper than RBC. I can't remember how far east it goes but I remember that it abuts the CBC building to the west.

Some older photos. I think RBC and Ritz may share the underground parking. The hole for the Ritz was indeed deeper than RBC.

May 22:

It's a MASSIVE hole! Can't believe how quickly they dug this!

ritzab5.jpg

Took these on Tuesday Sept 11th,

Its so hard to take pics of this site.

DSC_0835.jpg

You can see a bity of the wire mesh from the look out window in the pic.
DSC_0842.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

May 12 click for full size
You can see the window framing been installed on both slopping roof.
IMG_may-12-10-0001.jpg

IMG_may-12-10-0002.jpg

IMG_may-12-10-0003.jpg

Some older photos. I think RBC and Ritz may share the underground parking. The hole for the Ritz was indeed deeper than RBC.

Thanks for the old pics. I totally missed this part of the construction. I knew there was a hole there, but I didn't think it was this large -- enough for a garage.

Where's the entrance?

thats a nice sight to see this thing getting cleaned up at ground level, its like a breath of fresh air. Not long now and this whole area will be a functioning part of the city...

Back