Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

kk. makes sense,... wow, that spire is taller than i thought it would look, i'm sure there is a lighting rod atop it right??? gonna be a hot spot for lighting in the city... can't wait till the full LED strip is installed on the spire, gonna be way more visible at night!
The whole spire acts as a lighting rod. It's grounded, and will have one of those little lightning balls at the top. I don't think it adds much height to it.

Not all of that steel is staying, either - it's temporary for construction of the spire if I understand correctly. The spire will essentially start just to the left of the white Brookfield banner, comprising the corner of the 'onion' and the diagonal square tube that hangs out beyond the concrete will be gone. I imagine the crane will be used to finish moving these pieces away, bring up any oversize items or cladding for the dome/spire and then itself get taken down by the yellow jib.

Not all of that steel is staying, either - it's temporary for construction of the spire if I understand correctly. The spire will essentially start just to the left of the white Brookfield banner, comprising the corner of the 'onion' and the diagonal square tube that hangs out beyond the concrete will be gone. I imagine the crane will be used to finish moving these pieces away, bring up any oversize items or cladding for the dome/spire and then itself get taken down by the yellow jib.
Yes, the rectangular steel that encases the spire is all falsework and will be removed. As are the beams that form the square down at the northwest corner column.

The tower crane is scheduled for removal tomorrow.

Trump is built right to the property lines, on a very small lot. How would it not look thin?

What do you propose they should have developed on the property?

The demo'd mid-modern Woolworth building could have been successfully re-adapted although I appreciate that the odds are against it. A boutique office building (25 to 30 storeys, 300 to 400,000 sq ft) with a PATH connection and zero parking would be easier to pull off than the garbage now disgracing our CBD skyline.

The tower crane is scheduled for removal tomorrow.

holy cow! wopchop knows his stuff!
this has been a crazy week (and/or past few weeks) for Trump. the dome, which was assembled really really fast, then the spire, raised within a few hours!. crazy, monumental,

gotta respect that this tower gets so much attention. ... Even though towers like Four Seasons, Shangri-la, etc... are better received by more people, nothing beats the construction ride that this tower gave to us. it was nothing short of epic. if this tower sucked that bad, it wouldn't be the busiest thread at UT... unless most of those posts came from me lol!

is it actually taller than Scotia.. doesn't look like it

the spire of trump reaches a few feet taller than the roof of scotia. which is technically taller is up for debate though most of us will say scotia

The demo'd mid-modern Woolworth building could have been successfully re-adapted although I appreciate that the odds are against it. A boutique office building (25 to 30 storeys, 300 to 400,000 sq ft) with a PATH connection and zero parking would be easier to pull off than the garbage now disgracing our CBD skyline.

the only 'garbage' that I see are the posts that you make....maestro, you have to be the most continually negative person on all of urbantoronto....

the spire of trump reaches a few feet taller than the roof of scotia. which is technically taller is up for debate though most of us will say scotia

i believe it is 6 ft taller.... but if you take into account Scotia's mechanical/the elevated structure on the roof (like every building has), Trump's spire might be only a few inches (give or take) taller or shorter.

i love that shot of the bay st canyon with the old city hall terminus. Where was this picture taken from?

It's no coincidence that you can see Old City Hall's tower from the harbour. Harbour Square was built in the 1970s, when there was an increased awareness about the value and beauty of historic vistas. Either the city's planners required preservation or it was the architects' idea. However, the rest of Harbour Square is quite poorly conceived, and if I could remove one set of condos from the city, it would probably be those ones.

The excuse was not enough elevators however, it's obviously a cover for poor sales.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Are you an architect? An engineer? Do you work in construction? Do you know anything about elevator requirements regarding capacity and space? I doubt it. Trump already has a bank of elevators for hotel guests, a bank of elevators for hotel staff, a bank of elevators for condo residents, and the obligatory fireman's elevator. Adding another ten stories would have expanded the number of condo elevators quite significantly.

the only 'garbage' that I see are the posts that you make....maestro, you have to be the most continually negative person on all of urbantoronto....

Thanks for the laugh.

This building is poorly executed, a poor use of the site, an epic eyesore next to one of the most highly rated skyscrapers in the nation and someone has to counter all the forumers going gaga over a lone over-hyped building specification .

I do the same to forumers that single out a singular flaw (sometimes having nothing to do with the building itself but the surrounding streetscape) proceeded by rants and raves spewing generalization after generalization that would make even Hume blush.

Thanks for the laugh.

This building is poorly executed, a poor use of the site, an epic eyesore next to one of the most highly rated skyscrapers in the nation and someone has to counter all the forumers going gaga over a lone over-hyped building specification .

I do the same to forumers that single out a singular flaw (sometimes having nothing to do with the building itself but the surrounding streetscape) proceeded by rants and raves spewing generalization after generalization that would make even Hume blush.

It's tall. That's obviously the only thing that matters.
emot-colbert.gif

Last edited:

Back