Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

That's an oddly worded promo for the condo project. "199 Yonge Street and ... 205 Yonge Street have been sold and a new future 80-storey condominium project is scheduled to take their place." So, what, it's a teardown? Put 'em on a flatbed and move them to a mall in the Portlands? I hope it's simply that whoever put that together shouldn't be allowed to write in public.

That's an oddly worded promo for the condo project. "199 Yonge Street and ... 205 Yonge Street have been sold and a new future 80-storey condominium project is scheduled to take their place." So, what, it's a teardown? Put 'em on a flatbed and move them to a mall in the Portlands? I hope it's simply that whoever put that together shouldn't be allowed to write in public.

That announcement from Nadine Robbins there doesn't sound especially credible. Her entire site doesn't seem especially credible.

Yeah, thats why i said whats up with those structures, nowhere does it mention any love for those buildings, i just kind of get that feeling that she just believes... that after they raze that spot, there will be an 80 storey erection.
She has no idea and probably like all of us has just heard a rumour and is trying hard to jump the gun before the competition does.

Let's wait and see....she works for Milborne RE, who are pretty heavily involved with new condo launches....

She is pretty brave though to publish this if it isn't official yet...

I'll chain myself to one of those buildings before they tear them down and campaign Kristyn Wong-Tam to chain herself to the other building.

Plans still have to be seen but, I'm not impressed at all about the potential redevelopment here. I realize someone paid a handsome sum for the property and that these buildings have sat empty for years with little interest however, they should be preserved in their entirety and not overshadowed by some tower. I'm hesitant to the idea of a tower in behind on the parking lot were the lot even big enough to support a tower of this magnitude.

Im going to get crucified for this idea but why not take all these buildings like the historic banks and move them somewhere that we can make a historic toronto. For instance they were able to move that building across from Hooters on John Street. Why not get a city block and put all these buildings in a New District. The person whose building the condo would pay for the move and restoration but would nt have to incorporate the old building into their new plans. Just seems like a good comprimise versus destroying buildings or the facadism thats happening.

That's a concept that belongs in Doug Ford's Portlands, along w/ferris wheel and monorail, if you get my drift. (Shhh--don't tell him)

Anyway, I can see 199 more likely facadectomied than 205, given the latter's comparative (extant, and previously restored) architectural pretension inside as well as outside. Not by way of *advocacy*, but...

That's a concept that belongs in Doug Ford's Portlands, along w/ferris wheel and monorail, if you get my drift. (Shhh--don't tell him)

Anyway, I can see 199 more likely facadectomied than 205, given the latter's comparative (extant, and previously restored) architectural pretension inside as well as outside. Not by way of *advocacy*, but...

The James Cooper mansion condo on Sherbourne might be a template for this project: the original mansion wasn't compromised, unless you considering tacking on a giant glass rear end as compromised. Another likable example of non-facedectomy is the Five project, where the buildings along Yonge are nearly untouched in the building process.

These buildings are way too big to move, JCM is smaller was only moved a very short distance from where it originally sat. I'm puzzled as to what they think they can build with such a small space in between the two buildings where the Colonial Tavern used to be, and little space in behind which leads me to worry about the buildings being chopped up. I certainly don't wish for a real estate adjustment (though it's eventually inevitable) but when I see projects like this & 501 Yonge I get really concerned.

Back