Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

On Nov 7 the OMB appoved the appeals against the failure of the city to approve zb/l & OP amendments to permit the development of two residential towers of 40 and 35 floors containing 669 units. The board was informed that a settlement had been reached between the Distillery and the city. The original proposal was for two towers of 48 and 40 floors with 800 units.

Sec 37 include to facades to be preserved as well as $2.7 million in community benefits and a public art contribution.

Thanks, Mike. Can I assume that Clear Spirit will be 40 storeys and the Gooderham will be 35? Was the press release detailed enough for one to ascertain that?

Interesting note regarding retained facades. I look forward to new renders to find out just what it is we are getting here.

with that info ... should the thread be updated to:

Pure Spirit + Clear Spirit + Gooderham @ Distillery (Front & Parliament, Cityscape, 40 + 35 + 32s, aA) ?

oooo i see ... thanks I-42 ~ didn't realise that phase 1+2 were grouped together whereas phase 3 was stand alone :)

I would have split off phase 2 a year or so ago too, but forum members seemed to want one endless thread for the buildings that had "Spirit" in their name!

Thanks, Mike. Can I assume that Clear Spirit will be 40 storeys and the Gooderham will be 35? Was the press release detailed enough for one to ascertain that?

Interesting note regarding retained facades. I look forward to new renders to find out just what it is we are getting here.

I'm going to assume that Mike in TO got it from today's NRU Toronto Edition (I was going to post it as well, but he beat me to it). There was no indication of which of the buildings will be 40 and which will be 35. The Board's approval included a 4-storey commercial building at 390 Cherry Street (Ribbon building) which was originally proposed at 3 storeys. It didn't mention whether that means more GFA or same GFA but smaller floor plates.

It was noted that the City supported the revised proposal. Also, there was a proposal from 1994 that was for 2 office buildings on the site, which I never knew about.

Last edited:
Wow. Facades, public art and $2.7 million? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. And as a bonus, we get two excellent new towers in the Distillery.

I've been taking my daughter to day care in the Distillery since January. Its amazing to see how many people are getting off the King streetcar in the evenings and heading here now that the building is occupied. A total dead zone is slowly coming to life.

What's up with the next 2 towers ... haven't heard anything in a long while.

Haven't they been in sales for ages now?

well I wouldn't say AGES ... while it is true that Clear Spirit has been out for more than a year (June 2007) ... Gooderham has only been out since May 2008 (being agent preview)

Any sales data on Clear Spirit?

I recall they had some issues with the city actually. Wanting them to spend more $$ while they figured creating the DD in the first place or helping restore it was their contribution already. Has that been resolved.

ps - Solaris - I noticed you bolded the relevant part of your signature :)

If you go through this thread and/or the Gooderham thread you will be able to find the OMB decision that was issued ~ a month or so ago. It might help to explain some of the issues, which are resolved now.

Back