Toronto Curio by Hilton Distillery District | 115.1m | 31s | Gupta | Arcadis

I had a second look at the photo and I'm wondering if maybe the bottom half of the building is simply not in view. Maybe we're only seeing at the top three windows, and not the full height of the heritage facade?

While I like the hotel portion, it shows no relationship with the heritage building at all and looks like it could have been built anywhere else completely new and unencumbered.

Does the relationship not consist of taking the proportions of the heritage building and transposing them into a series of stacked, elevated, contemporary repeats?

My guess ... aA.

ToroTO, do you remember if the effective 'ceiling' height of the windows are sufficiently tall enough to support at least an 8 foot ceiling, if floors were to be constructed on the inside of the existing structure?

From what I remember (I think I visited in 2007), there were no actual floors, just rows of racks rising, what would be multiple floors, up to the ceiling.

I couldn't find any of my pictures but did find this on Flickr
155051102_84ce900102_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spamily/

While I understand it is unusable for any purpose besides aging spirits, in it's current form, removing some rows would allow for new uses and even adding real floors. Removing all the racks would just leave an empty shell which does not do the building justice or respect it's history.

There are already many examples of new unrelated towers on top of historic bases in this district as well as across the city, some better than others. I just don't believe this building should be subjected to this treatment when something better could be done. Should the "largest collection of Victorian-era industrial architecture in North America" half consist of both facades and whole buildings?

Does the relationship not consist of taking the proportions of the heritage building and transposing them into a series of stacked, elevated, contemporary repeats?

Possibly, I would need to see a clearer, more complete picture before deciding if that is the case here. As you can tell, I would just rather something different happened with this building.

Dont get it, the building sits deteriorating for 20-30 years and no one does squat, all of a sudden there is a proposal....and everyone crawls from under a rock to preserve it..lol:D

Adaptive re-use is the the best thing that could happen to the rack house. Now it's saved from destruction by less scrupulous developers. Plus, we get a trendy hotel to breathe extra life into the distillery district. I don't see what there is to complain about.

Dont get it, the building sits deteriorating for 20-30 years and no one does squat, all of a sudden there is a proposal....and everyone crawls from under a rock to preserve it..lol:D
lol yeah ;) :D :) who cares about history and culture and buildings with character :p :rolleyes: just build tall buildings! build build build!!
towers towers towers sue-ann levy towers towers skyscrapers respect for taxpayers skyscrapers towers dubai!!! :cool:

Last edited:
towers towers towers sue-ann levy towers towers skyscrapers respect for taxpayers skyscrapers towers dubai!!!

Perfect encapsulation of the overly masculine yet childlike enthusiasm that the ex nihilo crowd exhibits. Rob Ford to a tee.

The fact is preservationists would be out there in force if there were money to preserve. In this case money can be made and building forms preserved as best as possible. I see no reason to doubt the possibility of a good outcome for all involved - but it would not happen without heritage proponents. And that would be a shame if one of the oldest areas of toronto lost a gem. Look at all the 60s and 70s crap that was foisted on the city due to the same attitude -much of it replaced amazing architecture. Let's not let this happen here.

lol yeah ;) :D :) who cares about history and culture and buildings with character :p :rolleyes: just build tall buildings! build build build!!
towers towers towers sue-ann levy towers towers skyscrapers respect for taxpayers skyscrapers towers dubai!!! :cool:

Come-on, what is that rant all about:eek:..what makes you think that i don't appreciate history/culture just as you, or anyone on this board.

Last edited:

.... the Rackhouse and just about every other historic property that doesn't yet have funds available for restoration or adaptive re-use.

What's your point? Oh right, there is no point, it's just another bit of emoticon-stuffed nonsense cluttering up these pages.

Last edited:

This particular area sat vacant because no one had any vision for it, that has changed over time with being a movie set and lately a mixed use neighbourhood. Unfortunately most of us have few opportunities to express an opinion and certainly no control over what happens to various sites in the city which may only become known once an alternate proposal is presented.

I am quite happy with what Cityscape has done with most of the buildings, it has been very successful. I just think that some of the buildings shouldn't be overly altered and their integrity respected. That has been done with the "Stonehouse" and others, I think this one should also be included.

Since no one even mentioned the historical aspect until my posts, I assume you are referring to me as "crawling out from under a rock", let me assure you I haven't been either under any rocks or crawling recently. Have been reading this board for a long time, just decided to finally let my presence and thoughts be known.

Thanks SpadinaBus - I like the design - looks more like a piece of artwork than a building, but the rendering is certainly liberal with the materiality of the tower. Seamless, invisible glazing is quite the unobtainium.

grey:

lol yeah who cares about history and culture and buildings with character just build tall buildings! build build build!!
towers towers towers sue-ann levy towers towers skyscrapers respect for taxpayers skyscrapers towers dubai!!!

Stop! I think I am getting hypnotized.

AoD

Last edited:

Back