939     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Wait a minute, I thought council voted yesterday for LRT on Finch West in addition to the Eglinton Crosstown, plus a panel for Sheppard? So what is going on with Finch?

yes there will be a panel who will decide on sheppard. this counciller is simply hiding the truth that there may be at grade lrt once the report comes in.

yes there will be a panel who will decide on sheppard. this counciller is simply hiding the truth that there may be at grade lrt once the report comes in.

I think they moved the controversial Sheppard corridor to a separate panel, so that it does not affect the rest of LRT projects.

I question if that will happen, given that they are now proposing studying a western extension of the Sheppard subway instead of an eastern extension. In the long run, I think Sheppard will go west and east. That would make the FWLRT kind of a stub.

Western extension of Sheppard subway is a very long-term project; extension of Finch LRT from Keele to Yonge can happen well before that.

Btw, both lines can co-exist.

I question if that will happen, given that they are now proposing studying a western extension of the Sheppard subway instead of an eastern extension. In the long run, I think Sheppard will go west and east. That would make the FWLRT kind of a stub.
However the stub will feed people onto Spadina, and not Yonge, which is good news. As well, the current planned section of Finch West does not conflict with any future Sheppard extension.
agreed.

My understanding is that anything it the "to be studied" list was just used to get a few votes and there is no real intention of acting on any of it. Some of them were in phase 2 or 3 anyways and the studying does not really change anything as they will get to it when funding becomes available.

The last two items (DRL, and the extension of Eglinton to the airport) are mentioned there for a good reason. They are not funded now, but both are high-visibility projects, and it is necessary to keep reminding about them to get them funded eventually.

Western extension of Sheppard subway is a very long-term project; extension of Finch LRT from Keele to Yonge can happen well before that.

I do not think they decided on a route for the Finch East (east of Finch West station). Would it run in the median, would it tunnel under Yonge for a short stretch, would it somehow go up to the hydro corridor to cross Yonge?

Rob Ford and his brother are on CP24 now.

I caught the last few minutes of it,

They will be doing one of their community walks this Saturday at the Agincourt Mall (Kennedy and Sheppard), not surprising on the location. No doubt they will be claiming a plethora of taxpayers came up to them and demanded subways.

I don't seem to recall any mention in the vote about elevating the DM to Kennedy section although it would make great sense as it is a commercial/industrial area and would save massive amounts of money and be far quicker and less disruptive to build.
I could see Ford maybe agreeing to that which is still grade separated rapid transit and due to this it will also have far, far lower operating costs as it will be able to be automated.

I don't seem to recall any mention in the vote about elevating the DM to Kennedy section ...
There wasn't. It might be cheaper than subway, but it's a lot more expensive than putting it in the centre of the street. So it wouldn't create the $ savings necessary to fund the other 3 projects.

I could see Ford maybe agreeing to that which is still grade separated rapid transit and due to this it will also have far, far lower operating costs as it will be able to be automated.
Does it matter what he agrees to? He has no further input on the matter.

I caught the last few minutes of it,

They will be doing one of their community walks this Saturday at the Agincourt Mall (Kennedy and Sheppard), not surprising on the location. No doubt they will be claiming a plethora of taxpayers came up to them and demanded subways.

Maybe some people should go up there and demand the opposite. Just a thought :p.

There wasn't. It might be cheaper than subway, but it's a lot more expensive than putting it in the centre of the street. So it wouldn't create the $ savings necessary to fund the other 3 projects.

I find it interesting that they specified "surface" for Eglinton East, but not "at-grade". I wonder if this was Metrolinx' way of getting the odd bit of grade separation in on Eglinton East. Or it may just be an oversight from an ill-informed staffer in Stintz's office.

There is nothing west on Sheppard from Avenue Rd to slightly east of Bathurst, then some small 6-0 storey condos

I find it interesting that they specified "surface" for Eglinton East, but not "at-grade". I wonder if this was Metrolinx' way of getting the odd bit of grade separation in on Eglinton East. Or it may just be an oversight from an ill-informed staffer in Stintz's office.

Whats the difference between surface and at grade?

Maybe some people should go up there and demand the opposite. Just a thought :p.

I'm surly tempted to make up a button stating "I survived the St. Clair 'disaster'", or even "Stop the Rob Ford gravy train" and follow them around.

Back