Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

I was just thinking that, this development isn't even approved yet. The city had significant concerns about the proposal.

Height no barrier. Development fees frozen! No reasonable offers refused.

That is the message that came out of City Hall a couple days ago, as councillors moved to keep alive the condo building boom in downtown Toronto.

This development might fall in this category, and in todays doom and gloom economy the City is not taking any chances in this project getting caught in their red tape.
This is a time where this cash straped city needs the money, and some of these proposed developments will get fast tracked even though they dont meet certain requirements.

I really hope Ice gets built. I find it very attractive but not ostentatious.

Word on the street has it if these condos on both towers are succesfully sold, Cadillac Fairview will be excavating one big dig for all three towers. Hard to believe that they would build a 31 storey office building without a main tennant,but then again in 3-4 years when finished things might not look so bad.

They may also excavate without the tower being a go (no one will finance anything speculative right now). What that could mean is plenty of extra money-making parking for the ACC. Then sometime down the road, the tower would go up.

The three newley built large office towers that have gone up in Toronto recently have managed to attract anchor tennants, also has the more recent 18 York St site managed to get a main tennant. Times are quite a bit tougher now but then again business is not going to stop and the world is not going to end. There is always the possibility in the upcoming years that a Canadian or International financial institution (not every company is down and out) may pick this proposed 31 storey building as a headquarters. Cadillac Fairview have a good track record in being able to pursue new business, they are also one of North America's largest investors, owners and managers of commercial real estate.

Last edited:
Why would anyone spend money on a spec tower? Pension organizations are relatively conservative, and if unemployment rises, so will the office vacancy rate.

Thanks for the renderings. I like the towers, but the base doesn't do much for me. It's unfortunate it won't match the height of the MLS base across the street.

^Well I gotta admit: I am drooling.:D

"Ice Condos is Toronto Condo Project of the Decade" is what I stated months ago: still agree.:)

Suckers, please buy this thing up!

Hold the phones; UD likes something! I seriously figured you wouldn't. I too dig it, as it's got a really rad "futuristic" vibe without seeming tacky. Naysayers be damned, this is definitely on the radar for Toronto's next best project. I don't expect to see serious work on it for a while though.

The podium & crown are weak. Considering the scope of the project the podium should be more of Lightbox dimensions with some kind of ground level use. Maybe I am missing it, but the renderings make the podium look like a two odd story lobby. And what is the point of the crown? Is this a Toronto zoning requirement or something? It is architecturally superfluous. What does it even have to do with "ice"? It ruins the sleekness. Bah...

Back