News   Mar 28, 2024
 94     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 557     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 

East Danforth

So as they're renovating the former Zellers at Shoppers World into a Target, they've been removing the old siding, and exposing the original brickwork on the west side. judging by its condition, it's been around for a while

From the Wikipedia entry about the mall.

In 1921 the site was still a largely rural area on the fringe of the city of Toronto, but that year the Danforth streetcar was extended to a new loop at Luttrell Avenue, just west of Victoria Park. This led to rapid development of the area. Most notably a Ford Motor Company assembly plant was built covering the large site at the southwest corner of Danforth and Victoria Park. The old factory building continues to exist as the main building of the mall.

So as they're renovating the former Zellers at Shoppers World into a Target, they've been removing the old siding, and exposing the original brickwork on the west side. judging by its condition, it's been around for a while

It's been covered back up, but this is what was under the siding on the northwest corner

IMG00042-20120829-1749.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00042-20120829-1749.jpg
    IMG00042-20120829-1749.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 576
Has it been confirmed to have been the work of Albert Kahn? He was one of the most important American architects of his time, and he didn't have many Canadian projects. The only ones I know of are the Kaufman Footwear Building in Kitchener and Windsor's significant collection which includes the aristocratic Willistead Manor. The Ford plant should be restored even for the purposes of retail and not obscured, regardless.

The Ford plant should be restored even for the purposes of retail and not obscured, regardless.

Or at least, not redmarked for future "inevitable" big-box (or condo, for that matter) redevelopment.

In fact, I've commented in the past that should the existing mall function ever expire, to convert the old auto plant into a Wychwood-esque marketplace could be a terrific idea...

(Oh, re Kahn: I believe I have seen his name connected here. Perhaps also w/stuff in Oshawa or the Oakville plant--though I know that some Oshawa stuff's been demolished in recent decades...)

excuse me but "white trash" not all white ppl are bad or poor or get into trouble u cant judge just cuz of a persons color... or the way they look, its like me being judging black ppl or imigrants... an thats being racest i wasnt brought up that way obviously u were... being racest is one of the main reasons there is so much fighting now a days, what ever happened to love thy neighbor or help a friend in need... or if u see a person u dont know in trouble an their right in front of u are u gonna just walk on by an ignore them just cuz there different... ur the one that wont go far in life if u think like that all the time an one day ull be the outsider, cuz no one will want to help u or be a freind cuz ur racest...

excuse me but "white trash" not all white ppl are bad or poor or get into trouble u cant judge just cuz of a persons color... or the way they look, its like me being judging black ppl or imigrants... an thats being racest i wasnt brought up that way obviously u were... being racest is one of the main reasons there is so much fighting now a days, what ever happened to love thy neighbor or help a friend in need... or if u see a person u dont know in trouble an their right in front of u are u gonna just walk on by an ignore them just cuz there different... ur the one that wont go far in life if u think like that all the time an one day ull be the outsider, cuz no one will want to help u or be a freind cuz ur racest...

"Helping an outsider" could mean informing you how to spell "racist", you know.

I love everything about this area except for the parking situation. Rules vary from one part of a street to the next, and then change again. Tickets for visitors are likely. This makes visiting somewhat difficult.

I love everything about this area except for the parking situation. Rules vary from one part of a street to the next, and then change again. Tickets for visitors are likely. This makes visiting somewhat difficult.

'Cause those little sign thingies they use to tell you what the rules are challenge your visitors?

Well, when its 1 hour in one spot, 10m away its 12 hours, and then past the corner its 1 hour again, with parking police who mark tires and give tickets within 45 seconds of a violation, yes it is a challenge for visitors. And dont forget about switching parking to the other side of the street every 2 weeks, or the friendly residents who call the city because they dont like people parking in front of their house. AND, be sure not to park within 20 miles of a fire hydrant. Safety first.

But thank the lord for the sign thingies. Oh yeah everyone will be ok thanks to the sign thingies.

Or at least, not redmarked for future "inevitable" big-box (or condo, for that matter) redevelopment.

In fact, I've commented in the past that should the existing mall function ever expire, to convert the old auto plant into a Wychwood-esque marketplace could be a terrific idea...

All of this does sound appealing, but given it's proximity to Vic Park station - and the size of the lot, I can easily see this turning into a condo complex. Best hope to save the original building may be a facadectomied condo complex.

Can always hope for the best of both worlds with the size of the lot. Condos on the eastern half and restore this building to a marketish type bldg. as you suggest.

Back