Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Working on the top of Trump today from my POV

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

quick question. I've always noticed that pre-concrete exposed rebar columns/pieces are always crooked/tilted and not completely straight like regular columns. When the forms are put around them and concrete filled, do they somehow bend them to become straight? it's hard to explain what i mean.

quick question. I've always noticed that pre-concrete exposed rebar columns/pieces are always crooked/tilted and not completely straight like regular columns. When the forms are put around them and concrete filled, do they somehow bend them to become straight? it's hard to explain what i mean.

I imagine it is sort of like putting a straw in a cup and then fitting the lid on after. You have to feed the straw through the hole and then the straw stands up straight.

Keep in mind, that with re-bar the top parts have to stick out of the mold, so that there is something to tie the next level of re-bar to. So using the straw analogy, the re-bar is all crooked until the slip-form for the column is put over it, then the re-bar is held in it's proper place by a "lid" or jig while the concrete is poured.

I'm sure wopchop can explain it better.

This morning from yonge street

July 8 NW Corner:

5915890685_4750096ea0_b.jpg

I imagine it is sort of like putting a straw in a cup and then fitting the lid on after. You have to feed the straw through the hole and then the straw stands up straight.

that actually is a great comparison! :D

and yeah, i wish that the setback on the east wall (the one that ends the granite) was lower down in the tower, because the upper portion (glass) looks short lived compared to it.... I guess cause the original plan called for a taller tower, and the setback level never changed...

EDIT:
I can't emphasize enough how amazingly well Trump fits on the skyline. Look how perfect it is!!!

Robsimages at flickr
5910060320_65bf8b9ea4_b.jpg

Robsimages at flickr

Last edited:
my appologies

thanks steve if this is your photo. I love this side of toronto.. for me this is the more "gothic" like angle and makes all the buildings look Larger. also this is how id see it comming into toronto from Go train or DVP.. love it! Thanks but only looks good like this at night! day time brings out those ugly appartment buildings in the forground.

Last edited:
thanks steve if this is your photo. I love this side of toronto.. for me this is the more "gothic" like angle and makes all the buildings look Larger. also this is how id see it comming into toronto from Go train or DVP.. love it! Thanks but only looks good like this at night! day time brings out those ugly appartment buildings in the forground.

It's not my photo, (i'm not that good), and yeah, toronto never looked better, though our skyline "looks" good, it's all an illusion, it's a skyline made of only a few "main" buildings (CBD core), and only few areas are that insanely super dense. (the whole thing dies north of queen in the City Hall area)

It's not my photo, (i'm not that good), and yeah, toronto never looked better, though our skyline "looks" good, it's all an illusion, it's a skyline made of only a few "main" buildings (CBD core), and only few areas are that insanely super dense. (the whole thing dies north of queen in the City Hall area)

If you want an illusory picture of a skyline, look at any picture of Mississauga City Centre, e.g. from the airport.

Trump being so close to topping off for the life of me I just can't figure out how it will be 'taller' than Scotia. That 'spire' thingy will have to be VERY tall!

Yesterday, driving along the Gardiner from the east, I noticed an amazing illusion. Bay Adelaide appeared to be under construction. The top 10 or so floors were nothing but concrete. It was simply trump tower's reflection off Bay Adelaide. It looked pretty damn cool, and I wish I had a camera at that moment.

Looking South on Bay St.

The lighting strip should be visible from this perspective once its up.

Pic taken July 9, 2011

WxqMK.jpg

Last edited:

Back