1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 560     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Toronto Architecture from the 1940's and 1950's

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

Though by this evidence, they might have been "fantastic" on more of a Moscow than Montreal level. And besides, Dolphin's somewhat later TTC HQ might be the stodgiest, most constipated piece of 50s retardataire Toronto ever saw...

hey its not that bad!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McBrien_Building

though its true he was a man who struggled with the language of postwar modernism...

also, he was almost 70 when he designed it. that was back when 70 was old, and not the age of rock stars like Mick Jagger.

One of the oddest medley’s of modern, deco and neo-traditional architecture in the city is right across the road from the library at 25-27 St. Clair E.
The Arthur Meighen Building, from 1954 was designed by Charles B. Dolphin(1888-1969). He is also the architect of the epochal Consumer’s Gas building on Yonge St, (1930) and the Postal Delivery Building that is now Air Canada Centre (1941). So this is rather a late work of his.

5836021062_1a83953366_o_zps118d657d.gif:original

I agree, deepend, a very unique building, both stylistically and in its use of materials.

meighen.jpg

Attachments

• meighen.jpg
    meighen.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,036
Another library by Arthur Eadie, three years earlier than Deer Park.

The George H. Locke Memorial Library, 1949, Beack & Eadie. SE corner of Yonge and Lawrence.

locke.jpg

locke2.jpg

locke3.jpg

locke4.jpg

locke5.jpg

locke6.jpg

locke7.jpg

locke8.jpg

locke9.jpg

locke10.jpg

locke11.jpg

locke121955.jpg

George_H_Locke_Memorial_Branch.jpg

George_H_Locke_Memorial_Branch_Plaque.jpg

Attachments

• locke.jpg
    locke.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,052
  • locke2.jpg
    locke2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,111
  • locke3.jpg
    locke3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 996
  • locke4.jpg
    locke4.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,007
  • locke5.jpg
    locke5.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 980
  • locke6.jpg
    locke6.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 975
  • locke7.jpg
    locke7.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 995
  • locke8.jpg
    locke8.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 977
  • locke9.jpg
    locke9.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 980
  • locke10.jpg
    locke10.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 972
  • locke11.jpg
    locke11.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 991
  • locke121955.jpg
    locke121955.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • George_H_Locke_Memorial_Branch.jpg
    George_H_Locke_Memorial_Branch.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 967
  • George_H_Locke_Memorial_Branch_Plaque.jpg
    George_H_Locke_Memorial_Branch_Plaque.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:
Re the Locke Library: probably useful to think of it as a post-WWII "sequel" to the Runnymede Library (Beck & Eadie being John Lyle's successor firm)

Bay/Wellington today? I think that its present unfortunate appearance goes beyond "facelift"....

IIRC it was a total demolish/rebuild.

IIRC it was a total demolish/rebuild.

Adma is correct. I think it went down around 1993-94. In its last couple of years there was a "Metro Paradise" discount store on the ground floor which gave the building an extra dose of seediness with its posters all over the place, "Bre-X certificates $10!" etc. When the building closed, the store moved to Yonge St. next to the Dineen Building and I think some of the tacky posters live on even though the store is gone. Moose actually did a then-and-now on the Yonge St. building a while back featuring those Bre-X posters.

Adma is correct. I think it went down around 1993-94. In its last couple of years there was a "Metro Paradise" discount store on the ground floor which gave the building an extra dose of seediness with its posters all over the place, "Bre-X certificates $10!" etc. When the building closed, the store moved to Yonge St. next to the Dineen Building and I think some of the tacky posters live on even though the store is gone. Moose actually did a then-and-now on the Yonge St. building a while back featuring those Bre-X posters.

Quite right, gents. The current building (220 Bay) was designed by Page & Steele and was completed in 1995. My mistake.

Speaking of facelifts, the most flamboyant example has to be 100 University. The original building was designed by L. Forster in 1959 (hard to find a pic of it), and its current incarnation was by WZMH in 1994.

100 University (behind):

kinguniversity.jpg

Today:

100University.jpg

Attachments

• kinguniversity.jpg
    kinguniversity.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 923
  • 100University.jpg
    100University.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 924
attachment.php

One thing I was wondering about in that shot: what does the letter "S" on the bag stand for?

One thing I was wondering about in that shot: what does the letter "S" on the bag stand for?

I can't answer that except to say it isn't Simpson's. I can say that it appears that the ladies packed something of a picnic and would probably have used saved paper shopping bags from nicer stores because that's what we ladies do (or did) in such situations. I never toss my bags from Holts' or Prada. :p

Now consider the subjects. Three generations, all in matchy-matchy pale blue. Grandma in a multi-strand pearl necklace (probably cultured), daughter is fashionably-coiffed in a bouffant, and child adorably garbed in white. All of them overdressed for the occasion, even for the times which I guess to be early 1960s.

All this tells me that they came from out of town, perhaps as far away as Oakville. They're dressed up for the city, although they are at the CNE. Therefore, I can only conclude that the bag comes from some local ladies' better quality clothier.

Now consider the subjects. Three generations, all in matchy-matchy pale blue. Grandma in a multi-strand pearl necklace (probably cultured), daughter is fashionably-coiffed in a bouffant, and child adorably garbed in white. All of them overdressed for the occasion, even for the times which I guess to be early 1960s.

Great analysis, Ex-Montreal Girl! But, were they real that overdressed for the times?

TorontoExhib-50s.jpg

StAugustineAlligFarm50s.jpg

10022_477751205628202_997614342_n.jpg

http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06/anything-goes-saturday-hither-and-yon.html

Attachments

• TorontoExhib-50s.jpg
    TorontoExhib-50s.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 921
  • StAugustineAlligFarm50s.jpg
    StAugustineAlligFarm50s.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 887
  • 10022_477751205628202_997614342_n.jpg
    10022_477751205628202_997614342_n.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 872
The greatest problem when one is wrestling a 'gator is not getting him/her too excited.

(Weak heart.)

Regards,
J T

attachment.php

I can't answer that except to say it isn't Simpson's. I can say that it appears that the ladies packed something of a picnic and would probably have used saved paper shopping bags from nicer stores because that's what we ladies do (or did) in such situations. I never toss my bags from Holts' or Prada. :p

It's also possible the bags came with free samples/deals from the Food Building, or brochures from the Better Living Building. There appears to be a second 'S' bag just in front of the stroller.

It's also possible the bags came with free samples/deals from the Food Building, or brochures from the Better Living Building. There appears to be a second 'S' bag just in front of the stroller.

a much more more likely scenario...

Back