News   Mar 28, 2024
 458     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 310     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

Etobicoke development thread

I certainly hope so! The area also needs a good size grocery store. The Ontario Farms one that opened early last year, shut down six months later!

The owner of the Pro Hardware store is retiring, and there's several other vacant stores in the complex.

Tear down this puppy and build a vibrant retail/residential development.

Ever since Dominion and The Beer Store left this plaza people have been forecasting its downfall. It just doesn't die, though. First Ontario Farms entered the scene after years of vancancy, and now it's anchored by an Asian grocer, Top Foods Supermarket.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time I went by here there was a new golf store, honey store, and dentistry practice. The oldies are a BMO, a local watering hole, a pharmacy/clinic and a dollar store. And of course there's your regular corner store, a pet supply place, MDG computers (avoid like the plague)...

I'm curious to see what will become of it, but I don't think it will happen overnight. And you can bet people will raise their voices when it's near the end. She has nine lives I tell ya'.

Ever since Dominion and The Beer Store left this plaza people have been forecasting its downfall. It just doesn't die, though. First Ontario Farms entered the scene after years of vancancy, and now it's anchored by an Asian grocer, Top Foods Supermarket.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time I went by here there was a new golf store, honey store, and dentistry practice. The oldies are a BMO, a local watering hole, a pharmacy/clinic and a dollar store. And of course there's your regular corner store, a pet supply place, MDG computers (avoid like the plague)...

I'm curious to see what will become of it, but I don't think it will happen overnight. And you can bet people will raise their voices when it's near the end. She has nine lives I tell ya'.

Wasn't aware there was a Dominion and a Beer Store there at one point.

The plaza is just so damn fugly.

The Royal York Grand... one year since the last photo update...

DSCN4485_3.jpg

just an update , i road my bike past 720 Humberwood Boulevard in north etobicoke this weekend and there is nothing on this site , but tall grass fields fenced off , so i guess this project is not happening yet :(

The Royal York Grand, now fully complete and occupied, at Eglinton and Royal York. It never had its own thread, so I decided to put the picture here. What a lost opportunity once again - a few minor adjustments could have made this development infinitely more urban. It's unnecessarily set back from the street, does not contain any retail, and the tiny entrance (anything but "grand") is on the side of the building. If this had been tucked away on some side-street I could forgive these shortcomings, but at the intersection of 2 major arterial roads, or "avenues", it's inexcusable. Let's hope the city is more vigilant about such crucial details in the future.

Oct10-09018.jpg

I can understand "unnecessarily set back" re Royal York, but re Eglinton, wouldn't a future-transportation-corridor-ROW allowance still factor in?

Your thinking is certainly more optimistic than mine - when this condo was designed, rapid transit on Eglinton wasn't even on the radar, so such a generous, forward thinking notion was certainly not the reason it was set back. It's the result of a suburban, or perhaps reluctantly urban, dated mindset - but hey, when the LRT is built and the road is widened, hopefully that useless strip of grass will disappear.

The city probably still has the large right-of-ways along Eglinton left over from the defunct Richview expressway (it was supposed to connect the 401/427 to the 400).

And *that's* the issue I'm thinking of--Eglinton/Richview's been a designated "future transportation corridor" for decades now. It's a situation grandfathered in from past expressway plans; right now, I suppose, maintained as something of a "buffer zone" across Etobicoke's midriff..

Why do people still call it "Etobicoke?" Etobicoke and the other municipalities were amalgamated into a single city so I don't quite understand why people are still living in the 1980's.

Why do people still call it "Etobicoke?" Etobicoke and the other municipalities were amalgamated into a single city so I don't quite understand why people are still living in the 1980's.

Same reason people still call North York and Scarborough by there old names. It is part of the history they grew up with. ;)

Heck I still call the Centre Point Mall (Yonge & Steeles) by it's old name: Town & Country. That is what I know it as :)

Back