Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

I'm content with this building overall. It's a good addition to the East Bayfront, and will greatly contribute to the area's liveliness once the campus opens. The East Bayfront is piece by piece gradually transforming into a nice extension of our waterfront.

The TTC is proposing transit plans for GBC - I doubt this is what people though "Transit First" meant but as the QQ East streetcar is not going anywhere it may be the best alternative.

1. Approve the route changes to the 6 BAY bus route described in this report, on a trial basis, effective July 29, 2012, to better serve customers travelling to and from the new George Brown College Waterfront Campus on Queens Quay East at Sherbourne Street, noting that:
the new campus will accommodate 3,800 students and staff who are expected to make approximately 5,200 TTC trips to and from the campus each weekday;
service will be significantly increased on the south end of the 6 BAY bus route, and there will be more modest service increases on the 75 SHERBOURNE bus route;
a future route extension of the 65 PARLIAMENT bus route to Queens Quay will be evaluated by TTC staff once further development in the area proceeds, and when all roads in the area are suitable for bus operations; and
bus service to the new campus is an interim measure which will be required until the approved new streetcar line on Queens Quay East is funded, built, and in operation.

SEE: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...012/March_30/Reports/TTC_service_to_Georg.pdf

28 March 2012

Landscaping and outdoor treatment should begin soon.

IMG3101-L.jpg

IMG3102-L.jpg

IMG3104-L.jpg

IMG3110-L.jpg

I agree the corner seems out of keeping, but I wonder if the intent was to nod to the sugar plant?

Zinc (dark grey) would have been more striking than the whitish vertical corrugation. It would have brought out its form and provided contrast against the illuminated glazed areas. The combination of white with vertical corrugations make the corner difficult to perceive and renders the form of the box somewhat inscrutable.

Last edited:
Calm down people. First it's not finished. It looks worse because the edges are exposed and the windows for that section haven't been installed.
While the material choice for this one small section may not be optimal it's certainly not a disaster and this is an overwhelming positive building on the waterfront.

Calm down people. First it's not finished. It looks worse because the edges are exposed and the windows for that section haven't been installed.
While the material choice for this one small section may not be optimal it's certainly not a disaster and this is an overwhelming positive building on the waterfront.

As usual UTers are getting into panic mode before a building is finished and no doubt some will soon be threatening to "leave this hell hole" to protest. The metal is not absolutely perfect - though there are some nice touches - but I agree that the building is FAR from a disaster and I suggest wea ll calm down and wait to see how everything fits together.

Back