Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

The render of the hotel building has very unrealistic lighting. A typical room might have 4 side-by-side windows (assuming 12 rooms per floor), and if a room has its lights on, all four windows should be lit up. But instead we consistently see one window lit up and the other three windows dark. Nit-picking, I know...

As for the office building, it's awfully close to 18 York, isn't it? Workers with east views from Bremner Tower will almost be able to shake hands with workers in 18 York. It looks to be taller than I had expected, about equal to Union Tower in height. Although I guess that the 16 York office building will be the "big brother" of this office cluster.

I am starting to think that this cluster of office towers -- Union Tower, 18 York, Bremner Tower and the 16 York office tower -- is starting to echo the TD cluster not far to their north, in terms of being a group of quite similar-looking office buildings.

Last edited:
Especially since it seems they have no tenants signed up yet.

Interesting additional press release today here, http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2010/28/c6894.html

...talking about a 'surge' in tenant leasing activity....they then go on to say..."Larger requirements are primarily from financial and professional services firms. If the existing big-block options (new and old) cannot satisfy the current requirements, don't be surprised if a new building is announced within the next six to 12 months."

This press release was issued at 8:00am this morning....the Southcore announcement at 9:00am....didn't take long!

Man, these are profoundly uninspired buildings.

Like I said, take the render with a grain of salt. It does not show the PWC Tower at all in the colour it is in real life, so who knows exactly how this will look. PWC's real colour is a lot bolder, so there's a good chance the other two towers will be here too.

Just amazing that we have another office tower going ahead on spec. I love that this whole area from the CN Tower to Bay Street will built out by 2014.

Just guessing here, but that must be the closest two large Toronto office towers have ever been built to each other (That don't share a common wall).

At 47 floors this would also be Toronto's (or even Canada's?) tallest hotel.

I wonder if they would even bother to put windows in on the sides of the building that is mere meters away from the other, knowing that they are being built at the same time? Would it be better to just use concrete?

The render makes them look closer than they really will be... so there will be windows all the way 'round both towers... but yeah, they are still pretty close.

Just to run the render again on this page:

SouthcoreFC750.jpg

^ Now there's a thought... Not that there is anything wrong with the existing Delta Hotel, but it would be amazing to have something rivaling Aura in size on its current location.

So then we have to assume that Delta Hotels is ready to move forward on this right now, if they too will start construction on this project in December.

WOW!

I remember taking a walk through the barrens of lower York around 2001 and wondering whether it would be filled up in my lifetime. Now here is the final piece in the puzzle. Like others, though, I wish there wasn't a saminess to so many of these towers.

The Delta Toronto will have 566 rooms, while the Delta Chelsea has 1590, making it the largest in Canada. The place is always busy. I cannot see it coming down anytime soon (although we were promised a renovation not long ago...).

EDIT: Maybe the Chelsea's renovation has been held up because business has been so good lately. A story I saw in the last week on CTV News said that tourism to Toronto has picked up quite a bit this spring and summer even despite the G20. By opening this Toronto hotel, it may give Delta a chance to renovate the Chelsea when the Toronto opens without turning away guests - they can just steer some to the new property as they shut bits of the Chelsea for a time.

Last edited:
On the Delta Chelsea: Not going anywhere. The current hotel is 1,590 rooms, this new facility which is at least 1 star rating above the current facility (even calling the current facility 3* is a bit of a push.) .....will have only 566 rooms (or slightly over 1/3).

However, if I had to guess, and it is only a guess, I think this does set the stage of a phased redevelopment of the current site.

Likely retaining the newer south tower, since it has the waterslide and most of other advertised goodies.

We'll have to see, my bet is on a new 2-tower Delta Chelsea w/mixed condos and hotel.

On this proposal.........the Ascendancy of Toronto continues....;)

On office space, I really hope Bay-Adelaide II is next up, as that has been an unfinished block for soooo long.

I love this concept of a "southcore cbd"... Its really cool to be slowly (sorta) uniting the core with the areas south of the union railway tracks. can't wait to see it! :D

I like the delta chelsea- It definitely needs a renovation but it is such a big massive mid century hulk... like our fontainbleau hilton??

The interiors of the Chelsea are under renovations now. Entire sections of some floors are closed off and the results are quite good.

Back