News   Mar 28, 2024
 994     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 848     0 

G Road Test Tips

Always drive the speed limit. They will automatically fail you if you go above it. Don't go too slowly, either. There's nothing inherently wrong with going into the centre lane. The examiner may give you instructions on which lane to use. You're only going to be on the highway for one or two exits, so there is no real point in doing a lane change if not required. Always put on your parking break when you're parking. You will also have to back into a parking space. And, yes, wear shoes.

I can't stress enough: constantly check your blindspot with exaggerated head movements.

Aurora Location

I'm moving to Toronto and someone told me the Aurora center was a great place to take your G2-Exit test. Anyone have any opinions? I've never been there personally and took my G1-Exit in Windsor which was brutal.

Any tips would be nice, although I've read this thread through and seems to be the same stuff I knew previously. Thanks a lot in advance.

Funny, when I got my license there was never any of this excessive emphasis on the perfect test result. In some ways, I pity those who have to go through this stringent hoop-jumping. It' amazing how the test has become the all-important false measure of how good a driver is.

I don't own a car anymore, but because I have a license, I can jump into any rented vehicle after going for months (even a year) without driving and do so without question. It goes without saying that one can be a little rusty after not driving for long periods, yet it's no problem for me to do so because I have a license.

stop for pedestrain crossing on ramp

I failed G exit test today.

I was driving east on Burnhamthorpe below 50 km/h and need to get on HW427 north. There is a pedestrian crosswalk on the ramp, no traffic lights over there. I saw a man waiting and looking around, I thought he wanted to cross the ramp, so I stopped in front of him to let him go. The examiner said I should NOT stop, because the man should wait until I passed, and this action can cause a rear end collision.

I think it is unfair. I gave road rights to pedestrian, but I failed!
Is the examiner right? I’m confused!

Well the instructor was right, you do not have to yield to pedestrians on a ramp ever and stooping at a highway ramp is a big no no!

Well the instructor was right, you do not have to yield to pedestrians on a ramp ever and stooping at a highway ramp is a big no no!

I can understand the confusion, though. The ramp to the DVP on the east side of the Bloor Viaduct has a posted sign forcing motorists to yield to pedestrians. It creates huge bottlenecks in the morning and evening rush hour. I'm not sure what the law states, but I've had pedestrians simply step out onto a highway ramp before. The painted lines for pedestrians to cross can give the wrong signals.

I'm moving to Toronto and someone told me the Aurora center was a great place to take your G2-Exit test. Anyone have any opinions? I've never been there personally and took my G1-Exit in Windsor which was brutal.

Any tips would be nice, although I've read this thread through and seems to be the same stuff I knew previously. Thanks a lot in advance.

Don't use the testing station at Lawrence/Victoria Park. My partner failed his test twice there. I've been told they take kickbacks from the driving schools. Interesting because the 'school' will charge $100 to use their vehicle for the test if you don't have your own car.
When he went to the station on Sheppard near Keele, he passed the first time. Considering he has 17 years experience of driving (but not in this country), I found it outrageous that they failed him twice, for stupid little infractions that nobody obeys after they have their license.
It's big, big business for the Ministry. Each failure means another $40 or so to retest.
I'd be curious to know if they have some kind of quota like the police claim they don't. :rolleyes: You know, pass too many people the first time and get chewed out. :confused:

Well guys i have my third road test for my g2 today, the first and second time i did it it was at aurora, but from what i hear from everyone it is very horrible, no one that i know has passed on their first try there. and i know plenty of people lol. the instructors are very very very picky. i know some people who have failed 7 times there trying to get their g2. i heard that orangeville is as easy as the lindsay one so thats where i will be going today for lunch-time test 12:05 hope i pass. its a good hour and a bit away from where i live so its kind of annoying.

well i have confirmed it. orangeville is a very good place to go.the gentleman that i got was very very nice and even though i messed up on some crutial things he still passed me. route is very easy and the town is small. DO watch out for the school zone though if they have you leave to the back of the building and turn left because that is one of the big things that got me.

An emergency stop is when you need to stop suddenly for some reason. You pull over and turn on your emergency flashing lights.

uphill/downhill parking is unrelated. You're parking on an incline/decline of the grade so you turn your wheels towards the sidewalk and engage your hand brake.

my drive test instructor told me this simple rule for parking on a hill " up up and away, otherwise towards" meaning if your parking uphill turn your weels away from the curb and any other time turn them toward. if your parking up hill without a curb turn them toward is the only exception

Well guys i have my third road test for my g2 today, the first and second time i did it it was at aurora, but from what i hear from everyone it is very horrible, no one that i know has passed on their first try there. and i know plenty of people lol. the instructors are very very very picky. i know some people who have failed 7 times there trying to get their g2. i heard that orangeville is as easy as the lindsay one so thats where i will be going today for lunch-time test 12:05 hope i pass. its a good hour and a bit away from where i live so its kind of annoying.
-------------------------------------

Teckrin,
I was so frustrated after failed twice at Aurora. Glad to know you made it at Orangeville.Could you tell me a little more about the route at Orangeville? How about the traffic at noon there? I am planning to take it around noon.

The only point which I am unclear on about the emergency stop is whether or not we turn off the car? I know that we are required to pull over, but and put on our hazard lights, but do we only put it in park or do we turn off the engine and put on the parking (emergency) brake?

I'm taking my test in four nail biting days and I am very anxious. I've been driving for a long four years and feel confident that I am a good and safe driver, I just know I happen to be a terrible test taker!

Yes it is very hard to stay at the right speed. Also when passing, always pass slowing down rather passing my speeding up.

I got failed for this. Took my test in Hamilton - was told to merge into the next lane on the QEW while it was moving reasonably well but with heavy traffic. Slowed to find a space in the next lane to merge into and went under 80 km/h doing so. Was told that this was an unforgivable offense and I had failed.

My friend failed in Hamilton for an even more inexplicable reason. He entered an signaled intersection, waiting to turn left. Through traffic in the other direction was still going as the light turned yellow, so he didn't clear the intersection until it was red (doing otherwise was unsafe). He was failed for this.

Back