News   Apr 15, 2024
 963     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 652     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I thought it was just being split in half. But if it's getting divided into thirds, maybe one of the spots will be the Smoke's?

garage.jpg

What's that .... Opening soon? Thanks for the warning!

Steer clear of this place unless it's totally new ownership. If it's Village Rainbow or Big Johnson's people behind it, you don't want to go here.

well at least they can use those garage-style doors as part of their decor theme.

i've never eaten there, but what was the food like? was it the food, service or both that did them in?

I think the fairest assessment would be that it was a bit of both. Ultimately, it comes down to lack of expertise on the owner's part. To complicate matters, it would depend on which of the owners were there at the time. That resulted in a great amount of inconsistency.

It would be difficult to pinpoint just one overriding factor in why Big Johnson was open only five months ... but let me assure you, if you never went, you did not miss out on anything!

Hopefully new and better owners can finally help this prime location be a success.

I'm sure this may have been posted - but, Honey's Beestro off of Jarvis kicked the bucket either late last year (or maybe earlier). Haven't been there since the early summer but we used to go for half price appetizers. It was highly inconsistent and ranged from terrible to (almost) really good ... in any event, the sign indicates some sort of Italian joint. Anyone got any more information?

The store is being chopped up into three retail spaces, Super Fresh Mart is taking one of the three - at least that's what I've heard, and what it looks like peeking in.

wow, really? only 1 of 3 units - that's a dramatic reduction of space. the end unit is smaller than the other 2.
they're going to have to change/refocus their product range with so much less square footage.

Regarding Super Fresh Mart; Here's a line from the construction app.

Proposal to construct demising wall in exisitng retail unit to create two new retail units (Retail A and Retail B) on the ground floor of exisitng multi-use building (unit is at the corner of Maitland St and Church St)

^ So it's only being split up into two retail spaces (one taken by SuperFreshMart, and one taken by another retailer) it seems. The other retail space would be a good location for Smokes!

^ So it's only being split up into two retail spaces (one taken by SuperFreshMart, and one taken by another retailer) it seems. The other retail space would be a good location for Smokes!

that's what i thought all along with the former SFM space.
location would be good but it would need alot of mechanical work for exhaust and A/C, etc for a food service establishment.

i wonder why no one has taken the former Pizza Nova space just north of wellesley?
that space might even have all the necessary mechanicals needed for smokes.

Thanks androiduk, I stand corrected.

I'm sure this may have been posted - but, Honey's Beestro off of Jarvis kicked the bucket either late last year (or maybe earlier). Haven't been there since the early summer but we used to go for half price appetizers. It was highly inconsistent and ranged from terrible to (almost) really good ... in any event, the sign indicates some sort of Italian joint. Anyone got any more information?

I never understood how this place stayed opened. The mansion is beautiful and the patio and addition they added are even better. However, the location, service, and food were always mediocre.

I never understood how this place stayed opened. The mansion is beautiful and the patio and addition they added are even better. However, the location, service, and food were always mediocre.

I think it's an event venue now.
I've been there several times over the years under various incarnations. The service and food have been fine but it's so unpleasant with the traffic noise from Jarvis Street, same with the patio at Red Lion/Blake House further south.

I lived right across from the Red Lion and we used to go on rainy days ... until the renovation, which reduced the historic interior (or what was left of it) to basically the same level of taste as the Lebanon Express @ College and Yonge. Blah. That, and I ordered a whiskey sour and ... my whiskey arrived, in green koolaid.

^ So it's only being split up into two retail spaces (one taken by SuperFreshMart, and one taken by another retailer) it seems. ...!

i took a look at the premises this evening and notice a concrete block demising wall between the 2nd and 3rd units, so it's most likely that SFM will occupy the 2 end units.

Back