Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Please credit the source/original poster when re-posting others' material. Posting someone else's work without credit is a no-no around these parts.
Sorry. Edited my post, hope now is ok.

Considering that my condo unit is my "house", the balcony is both my front yard and my backyard. And I use it all the time, as do my neighbours. I can't imagine not being able to go right outside my unit and/or have sliding doors open on beautiful days like today. I sure as heck don't want to live in an office-type residential building with no opening windows or balconies. Talk about depressing.

Not every building is designed to please UT critics. Some buildings are designed to be practical, i.e. the purchasers.

So it's okay that some of the units don't have an outdoor space? I'd stay away from those units.

I`m not talking about a office type building, but I can feel you when you talk about your balconies like your front yard and your backyard.
I`m just talking about design, I`m new here (in that board and in that city too), I really like this city, and I'm not that type of person who likes to criticize everything, but sometimes I look at those cheap towers and I wonder if they spend money in a minimalist design instead that. IMHO.

Welcome Bad Bear, happy to have you aboard.

You do realize though, that all things considered, a truly 'minimalist' design is far harder to achieve than you (and many others) assume. Buildings (especially condominiums) are at once both deeply complex systems and painfully simplistic products. Truly talented firms never lose sight of either end of the spectrum.

zwANRHo.jpg

Holy yuck. The only thing attractive in that shot is L Tower and it's so far away it doesn't add to much to overall impression. Could it get any more insidious? EWWWWWW!

Holy yuck. The only thing attractive in that shot is L Tower and it's so far away it doesn't add to much to overall impression. Could it get any more insidious? EWWWWWW!

I like the cylindrical towers with many architectural elements harmoniously put together. Too bad about the green glass. The Ritz is a strong addition. I've always liked Simcoe Place's playful duality where it looks Modern from the north and south, but Postmodern from the east and west with its Art Deco tower-like shape. But it's that white RBC building that looks so dull and generic--like something straight out of a suburban office park. That beige Intercontinental hotel is regrettable as well, but hopefully it'll come down as part of the Oxford redevelopment of the MTCC.

Obviously the 4 seasons is a much better example of rigorous design and quality in execution. 300 Front is an ugly, sloppy clunker.

Amazingly, the west elevation is the most flattering one, by far!

really? I always thought the north or northwest was nice, there's a pic by "charles bodi" posted on page 105 a while back where the building actually looked half decent, although it was from very far away and from a plane. that angle seemed to have the highest black to "aqua grey crap" ratio.

Last edited:

Back