Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

I am not a fan of this building, but for all the building's shortcomings, kudos to the people actually responsible for the practical aspects of designing and constructing such a tower on such a challenging site.

Speaking of Manila.

18822_manila385.jpg

Source: http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=18822

It's amazing how much the built form in that picture looks like Toronto, when not looking directly at the CBD at least.

Trust me. That's not the case. I've been in every unit on the 12th and 24th floors. There is very nice natural lighting in the hotel units and the units are mostly creme in colour. The cabinets and the bed paneling are ebony. The units have a very comfortable private feel to them, even though you are in the epicenter of the Financial District. The guys from urbantoronto can certainly attest to the views and the lighting.

I'll stand by that - the rooms are restful and luxurious and have lots of light: the windows are plenty big enough, and the views are big-city cool. If you go through our older Trump stories from the front page, the photos should prove that.

There's a ton of cynicism about this building from many Torontonians. I was expecting an over-the-top garishness before going in, and I was totally wrong. I know that Sarah MacWhirter's story in The Globe sounds like an advertorial, but frankly her description of the attention to detail and the quality of the workmanship was exactly what we found half a year ago. I know we'll never have unanimity on UT about the building's exterior, but I will not be surprised that after opening popular wisdom gradually does build that the Trump is quite the addition to the city. All it will take is more people going through it.

They have installed some large light fixtures on the base of the tower, at about the second story, that are, in my opinion, very unique and beautiful. (sorry, no pics)

Can't believe it, they're opening it in 3 days and it's still boarded up!!!! Lol ! It's exciting!!!

Perspective is a helluva thing:

6582590603_18093ee0d0_b.jpg

Picture by CML

I love this "perspective" from the corner of University Ave and Queen Street with trees, obelisk and angel in foreground and downtown skyscrapers in the background - especially at dusk.

What I noticed is the dicrepency between the original renders of the Trump Tower and what it looks like now. It seems a few floors on top were cut off.

yes indeed.... many of us who have been following this project all the way along have bemoaned the rework from the original concept. The proportions certainly are nowhere near as flattering as they were in that render! Apparently there was not enough space for all the elevators that would have been needed and so they had to do a chop job on it.

Even though the opening is in a few days, the grand opening is sometime in march.. I believe that the hotel and restaurant will open in a couple of days. they have given them sometime to figure out the kinks within that time.

This building is awesome. Not great architecture for sure but definitely lots of personality... and what a surprise that the posers around here don't like it!

This building is awesome. Not great architecture for sure but definitely lots of personality... and what a surprise that the posers around here don't like it!

I agree, also great addition to our skyline, cant wait to see it lit up...
regarding disapproval, lately many have moved on to trash-talking, Aura and the L-Tower. lol:D

Back