News   Apr 18, 2024
 947     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 290     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 643     1 

401 "Highway of Heroes" and DVP to be "Route of Heroes"

LP: Why not make Route 417-the limited access highway that serves Ottawa from the Quebec Line-the Baldwin-Lafontaine Highway to honor these joint founders? As said that one in tha area might make perfect sense! LI MIKE

Yeah, I can't see why this hasn't been done. In the United States, the least signatory of the Declaration of Independence is bound to have a state house or a highway or a town named after him. Baldwin and Lafontaine hammered out the means by which English and French Canada could work together, shakily though it has at times, and it forms the basis for everything and everyone that's come since. But hardly anyone's heard of these guys.

The 401 already has a second name no one uses, the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway or whatever. We don't need another name to ignore.

Frankly, I think the last thing Harper wants is four or five ceremonies across the country every month proclaiming the name of a dead soldier on some street or civic monument. Bad enough the press is allowed to mention them.

sadly.

I heard this on the radio driving up to the Bruce, and I was think what a terrible idea - the idea being that it is the route that dead are transported from Trenton to Toronto for autopsy. So where does this named highway end? DVP?

It's the worst kind of American jingoistic/patronizing patriotic fluff. Drive all over Ontario and there's veteran's highways - Highway 25 in Halton, County Road 11 in Dufferin, Highway 416. Do we start distinguishing between war dead from the First and Second World Wars and the Korean Wars versus "Wars on Terror?" I don't mind the Veterans Highways much at all (they are more dedications than names), so why differentiate?

I might not be bad about it if it's a limited stretch--let's say, Newcastle to Trenton, or something, wherever the overpass vigils are most concentrated...

But *not* the *whole* 401.

How about Highway 7? Now that it's no longer a provincial highway, it really deserves a new name, and it doesn't have to be called a "Highway of Heroes".

YRR7.png

How about Highway 7? Now that it's no longer a provincial highway, it really deserves a new name, and it doesn't have to be called a "Highway of Heroes".

Markham and maybe Vaughan have been discussing the possibility of renaming Highway 7. I think Markham wants to rename it "Avenue 7"

Back to the "Highway of Heroes", there is a facebook group seeking people to sign a petition in favour of the renaming. I agree with the sentiments of the 'Americanization' of renaming the highway. If the name is to commemorate the soldiers fighting in Afghanistan, what about the veterans who fought in WW1, WW2, Korean War, etc.? Were they any less heroes? I think not.

Markham and maybe Vaughan have been discussing the possibility of renaming Highway 7. I think Markham wants to rename it "Avenue 7"

Oh, man, that would be SO dumb.

"Pardon me, where's Avenue 7?"

"Oh, it's between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue."

"...Uh huh. Are you people drunk?"

Back to the "Highway of Heroes", there is a facebook group seeking people to sign a petition in favour of the renaming. I agree with the sentiments of the 'Americanization' of renaming the highway. If the name is to commemorate the soldiers fighting in Afghanistan, what about the veterans who fought in WW1, WW2, Korean War, etc.? Were they any less heroes? I think not.

Yeah, we have cenotaphs and parks and entire federally-funded museums and monuments in foreign countries that attest to our country's efforts in wartime and pay tribute to those who actually did the fighting and dying. But leave something for the living. What's next, everyone gets a rank and a uniform?

Well, in the words of our Prime Minister, "When the leader of the opposition is able to stand in uniform and serve his country then I'll care about his opinion."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portion of 401 to become 'Highway of Heroes'
MELISSA JUERGENSEN

Canadian Press

August 24, 2007 at 3:25 AM EDT

TORONTO — A stretch of Ontario highway that's become a sombre repatriation route for soldiers killed in Afghanistan, drawing impromptu gatherings of mourners saluting that sacrifice, is set to be renamed in their honour, the province said yesterday.

The 170-kilometre section of Highway 401 between CFB Trenton where the flag-draped coffins of fallen soldiers arrive and the forensics centre in Toronto that receives them has been dubbed the Highway of Heroes.

More than 14,000 people have signed an online petition to officially rename the stretch of highway where people gather on overpasses to wave flags, display placards of support and salute the processions of hearses and limousines.

Ontario Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield said there were "no barriers to making this happen."

"I think when you consider the sacrifice that the soldiers and others have made, it's just a wonderful opportunity for us to reflect on that sacrifice and to be able to acknowledge it," Ms. Cansfield said in a phone interview, adding that she became aware of the online petition on Wednesday.

"There's no reason not to do it. All we need to do now is get into the process of how quickly we can do it."

The government says it's considering several options in terms of dedicating a portion of the country's busiest highway, currently named the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway.

"We don't know whether we rename one little part of it or if we leave the name and have that part of it dedicated," said Jamie Rilett, Ms. Cansfield's spokesman. "We're kind of early in the process to know which direction it's going to go, but there'll definitely be something dedicating that part of the highway to the fallen soldiers."

The cost to dedicate the highway with signs will be minimal, he added.

The man behind the petition, 22-year-old James Forbes of London, Ont., said he's pleased he's attracted so much attention.

Mr. Forbes, who says he one day plans to enlist in the military, said he's received a lot of feedback from military families who've travelled along Highway 401 after repatriation ceremonies at CFB Trenton.

"It seriously means absolutely everything to them," he said of the public displays of support. "It just shows the families that the country feels for their loss."

Ms. Cansfield and Premier Dalton McGuinty are expected to discuss the highway dedication today. Mr. McGuinty was previously involved in changing the name of an Ottawa highway to Veterans Memorial Highway.

The flag-draped coffin of the latest soldier to be killed in Afghanistan, Private Simon Longtin, was returned to CFB Trenton on Wednesday.

The highway procession that followed inspired the same impromptu outpouring of support from the public that's become associated with repatriations as people gathered on overpasses along the route.

It's a scene likely to be repeated in the coming days following Wednesday's loss of two more soldiers.

Master Warrant Officer Mario Mercier of the Royal 22nd Regiment and Master Corporal Christian Duchesne of the 5th Field Ambulance were killed when their transport vehicle hit a roadside bomb. Their caskets will be returned to CFB Trenton in the next few days.

Well, in the words of our Prime Minister, "When the leader of the opposition is able to stand in uniform and serve his country then I'll care about his opinion."

The sort of take on democracy I've come to expect from the right in the last few years. I suppose being elected by thousands of people to represent them in Parliament and then being elected by thousands more to head a federal party and Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition counts for nothing.

No, only when one is willing to put on a uniform signifying one's utter subjugation to a hierarchy and the disavowal of any independent thought or opinion, only THEN is one's opinion (you know, the one you're no longer allowed to have?) worthy of being taken into account. Of course! Once one has screwed one's hat on in the morning, I'm sure this makes eminent sense.

Very well, then... when is Harper going to resign as prime minister and a member of parliament, sign up as Private Harper, and thus oblige the rest of us to give a sh*t about HIS opinion? Seems to me his example is wanting.

According to CFRB 1010, the renaming is a done deal. The Premier was reported to have said that all that's left is to decide what the new signs will look like.

^Don't you just love it when life is delivered in such simplistic slices?

The sort of take on democracy I've come to expect from the right in the last few years. I suppose being elected by thousands of people to represent them in Parliament and then being elected by thousands more to head a federal party and Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition counts for nothing.

It certainly didn't count for anything when Chretien and his 'left of center' Liberals were in power... why should it count for anything now?? Whether it's a right, center or left leaning government that's in power, they're all the same when it comes to not giving a fleeting f**k what "Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition" thinks.

It certainly didn't count for anything when Chretien and his 'left of center' Liberals were in power... why should it count for anything now?? Whether it's a right, center or left leaning government that's in power, they're all the same when it comes to not giving a fleeting f**k what "Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition" thinks.

I think there's a vast, and logically demonstrable difference, between having the legislative numbers and authority to proceed in spite of opposition on the one hand, and actually coming out and saying that the opposition has not even the right to have its opinions considered on the other. The former is the normal course of Westminster democracy. The latter is more characteristic of a Latin American military dictatorship. Particularly with the "uniform" qualification.

Back