Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

From what I know offhand yes. Monarch is a large established developer with recent successes and are working towards building "greener" buildings. Cresford has had some troubled projects.

Thanks for the feedback.
Casa is indeed closer than Couture (you especially notice the difference when the weather gets cold...).
However, sometimes it's a good idea not to be too close to Yonge. It's a fun street but it can get scary at night IMHO.

Monarch has a much stronger reputation and long history of building experience. The 2007 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Ratings had Monarch rated as third and Cresford was dead last. Two condos in comparable locations and similar prices - the key difference is builder reputation.

JD Power Rankings (out of 1,000)
Tridel: 767
Daniels: 712
Monarch: 682
Menkes: 664
Pemberton: 620
H&R (Lanterra): 556
Camrost-Felcorp: 485
Cresford: 420

X condo

Based on what happened with BSN and Mode Lofts with Cresford. Cresford is prob the last builder I would trust my hard earned money with.

The casa project is no doubt a good looking project but from my personal experiences with people who live in Cresford buildings, their reputation holds true.

I think Great gulf would be on the top tier of that list but they didn't have any projects in time for the survey. The premium you pay for piece of mind is priceless, especially with such a big investment.

I think Great gulf would be on the top tier of that list but they didn't have any projects in time for the survey. The premium you pay for piece of mind is priceless, especially with such a big investment.

JD Power needs a certain number of responses from home buyers for each builder to be statistically significant - I don't think Great Gulf had enough closings last year to hit a high enough threshold of buyer responses.

Then there is Cresford's "nightmare on Dalhousie St.", The Merchandise Building...

Hopefully they have improved

The Merchandise Building is a beautiful project however it was plagued by a number of delays, major deficiencies and a fire. Being an early loft conversion many purchasers were unaware that they would have no protection under the former OHWP creating some very unhappy campers. It was converted in phases and was a construction site for the better part of 5 or 6 years.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to change the topic here but anyone familiar with that Rental Property "Residence on Bloor"? It looks pretty nice. Is it relatively new? And how about that big building right across from X condo (on the opporsite side of Jarvis)? Is it commercial or residential? I am trying to find out more about the area....

Just want to say thanks dt toronto geek, for some reason I can't PM you back...

235 Bloor East - Residences on Bloor

Thanks for the info. Sorry to change the topic here but anyone familiar with that Rental Property "Residence on Bloor"? It looks pretty nice. Is it relatively new? And how about that big building right across from X condo (on the opporsite side of Jarvis)? Is it commercial or residential? I am trying to find out more about the area....

Yes! I am familiar with that building; I live there. It's quite nice, a bit expensive though. I pay $ 1076 for an average sized bachelor and a parking space. This place has a pool, sauna and a fairly well equiped gym.

This building was built in 1971. It was originally designed as a hotel, but was changed to a residential building during construction.

The other building across from X is the Rogers Head Office. It was built in 1989, designed by Zeidler Architects, for an Insurance company ( I forget the name ) that went bankrupt in the '90's.

Notice how it mimics the Parliament Buildings.

Pizza Pizza's 2 storey head office is on the southwest corner of Charles and Jarvis. They also own the adjacent houses. Keep your eye on all those properties for redevelopment. There is a possibility that the X Condo could become land-locked within a cluster of tall buildings. Casa's new neighbour on the east side (the replacement to the angular one) will have over 30 storeys.

Incidentally, rain delayed the installation of the shoring beams. They had 6 or 7 left as of Friday morning one worker told me.

In any "guide to Toronto architectural styles" worth its salt, Zeidler's Confederation Life is a natural to illustrate Post-Modernism...

Maybe, given what happen to Conf Life, that's its *only* raison d'etre.

Update: November 19, 2007

Notice Verve climbing in the background.

20070819.jpg

Just across the street, looks like a bust in progress.

20070819_II.jpg

Back