News   Mar 28, 2024
 497     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The "old" Hobberlin Building was on the SE corner of Yonge and Richmond and survived until 1986 (and was designed by EJ Lennox):

f1231_it2038.jpg

Interesting that the HOBB ERLIN name on the building was separated to fit the available spaces.
Not many companies would have the courage to do that!

this is a wonderful thread. When did they made the master plan ?
Because i see a major difference in infrastructure.

Funny how Hobberlin at Y + Rich evidently had a two-storey addition that appears, from the earlier photo, as if it had been de-corniced already by 1912 (that is, if it ever had a cornice in the first place--though the discolouration up top indicates that there *might have* been...)

Anyone know if there's a connection between the Hobberlin Company and the former Hobberlin Museum in North York?

I don't know and your question has gone unanswered for a day... but this:

"The Hobberlin Museum was contracted by the North York Board of Education in 1975. By the time the boards amalgamated into the Toronto District School in 1994, the Hobberlin Museum consisted of 8,000 sq ft of display space occupying one floor of one wing of a school at Yonge St. and Sheppard Ave. There were three full-time teaching staff, and over 15,000 students a year were particiating in curriculum-based programs."

"In 2002, due to budget issues, the contract between the Hobberlin Museum and the Toronto District School Board was terminated and the museum collections were placed into storage where they remain to this day awaiting a time when renewed funding allows the reopening of the museum."

Interesting.

The "new" Hobberlin Building is now known as the Capitol Building and is historically listed:

http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/details.do?folderRsn=2432953&propertyRsn=210217

That was quite a factory in it's day in terms of scale. It might have catered to a customer a step up from the typical Tip Top Tailors customer. I'm venturing a guess that they did 'made-to-measure' - where the client is measured and a suit is created from a stock size closest to the client [Harry Rosen does quite a bit of this]. The higher end appearance of the Yonge Richmond store seems to hint at this. Tip Top of course, sold 'ready to wear' - pants and sleeves hemmed and away the client went. At the top of the sartorial heap was/is custom tailoring but that's another discussion.

That was quite a factory in it's day in terms of scale. It might have catered to a customer a step up from the typical Tip Top Tailors customer. I'm venturing a guess that they did 'made-to-measure' - where the client is measured and a suit is created from a stock size closest to the client [Harry Rosen does quite a bit of this]. The higher end appearance of the Yonge Richmond store seems to hint at this. Tip Top of course, sold 'ready to wear' - pants and sleeves hemmed and away the client went. At the top of the sartorial heap was/is custom tailoring but that's another discussion.

In this earlier photo (c1903)- seen here before, the 'really old' Hobberlin building has a sign that says 'Hobberlin's Cash Tailors'.

f1568_it0311-2.jpg

Or you could go down the street to where the Scotsman was standing and buy a $15 suit - to order - no more - no less - from 'Scotland Woolen Mfrs Co.'

Heya, it's the weekend and it's time to fun it up a little.

Click on the link below. Enter 'Toronto' into the search box. You'll hate me and wonder how you let me keep you from doing anything else this weekend.

http://www.britishpathe.com/

Thanks for that link, Mustapha. Great find!
Yes, a whole weekend of newsreel viewing.
I'm assuming that these images are now in the 'public domain' since 87 years have elapsed.

Attachments

• Toronto newsreels.jpg
    Toronto newsreels.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 373
In this earlier photo (c1903)- seen here before, the 'really old' Hobberlin building has a sign that says 'Hobberlin's Cash Tailors'.

f1568_it0311-2.jpg

Or you could go down the street to where the Scotsman was standing and buy a $15 suit - to order - no more - no less - from 'Scotland Woolen Mfrs Co.'

Yes, this photo has become almost iconic, to me anyways. What's not to like? No cars, great signage [note the Kent 'pocketwatch' on the left], and two examples of that singularly charming long disappeared custom of parking a bike by the curb as if it were a car.

In the compact City of the day, with no cars and only horses and pedestrians to hazard the progress of the cyclist, his or her machine was very well probably the nearest thing to a magic transportation device that demolished Space and Time. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that link, Mustapha. Great find!
Yes, a whole weekend of newsreel viewing.
I'm assuming that these images are now in the 'public domain' since 87 years have elapsed.

I expanded your picture and the answer to your question is: 'Dundas Street'?

"no cars and only horses and pedestrians"
QUOTE Mustapha.

Take note of the "Fine Selection of Road Apples, Ideally Situated", in the southbound lane.

Regards,
J T

Back