Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

wow, so it turns out to be a simple box ... what a disappointment ...

Watching York Street get built to the lake has been like waiting to see the end of a long movie. This building might not be perfect, but there's some relief and pleasure at seeing this last lot finally go. The city is meeting the lake along York for the first time in about one hundred years.

Personally, I wish the developer and architect had taken more advantage of the flatiron/prow aspect of the site. It would have helped made a landmark of the building.

The height is arresting, but not egregious, given the context. As for the detailings and final treatments, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully those long vertical window strips will be handled in a way that brings delight and some real aesthetic pleasure.
At least at this point we can happily say that "It's Not A Twin"! That in itself is a good start.

Last edited:
To me both renders are representations of the same thing. If you look closely the spines at the top / mech top are actually prominent features in a transparent/light colored mechcanical box structure at the top of the building.

Another observation:

I believe this is the first time in Canadian history in which we have had 5 buildings proposed over 220 meters.

1. 120 Harbour
2. 45 Bay
3. 90 Harbour
3. 90 Harbour
5. Herald Square (Calgary)

Simply put, this proposal is great!

The architecture works well with everything around it, and it makes good use of the triangular site. It will be interesting to see what the architects of 90 Harbour come up with, for the mix.

A fabulous area is developing and as CN says, York Street finally meets the waterfront. Can't complain about this.

2015 start? Bummer.

While the density of this sea of 150m - 250m towers being buit in Southcore is great, I 'd like to see some variation with a 300m -350m tower somewhere in there. 1 Yonge St. would be the prefect location for it.

when these buildings are complete and the west don lands are developed I will be thankful we never decided to bury the gardiner. Driving downtown at night is going to be insane!

Driving downtown at night is going to be insane!

I can hear it now, three folks sitting in a restaurant in 2019, chatting about their neighbourhoods.

"I live in Cabbagetown". "Oh, I'm in The Annex, and you?" "Oh, me? I'm at Permanent Traffic Jam", you know, PTJ, the Gardiner/York area".

(For a different thread: transit challenges posed by the new downtown).

i meant driving downtown is going to be insanely FUN. I use to hear my grandparents talk about just driving around for fun and no purpose and use ti think that sounds boriiiiing. But even if I have no reason to drive downtown I am sure Ill take a couple trips just for the view. I cant believe ill be the only one.

To me both renders are representations of the same thing. If you look closely the spines at the top / mech top are actually prominent features in a transparent/light colored mechcanical box structure at the top of the building.

Another observation:

I believe this is the first time in Canadian history in which we have had 5 buildings proposed over 220 meters.

1. 120 Harbour
2. 45 Bay
3. 90 Harbour
3. 90 Harbour
5. Herald Square (Calgary)

What has been proposed at 45 Bay? And more importantly, how did I miss it!!??

This is a very old proposal, maybe just a play to get a new buyer.

Caisse to build office tower in downtown Toronto

Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Canada's biggest pension-fund manager, will build a 40- to 50-storey office tower in downtown Toronto to expand its real estate holdings in Canada's largest city. SITQ, the Caisse's office building unit, bought the land at 45 Bay St. in May, spokeswoman Amelie Plante said yesterday. She declined to say when the tower might be built or how much the project would cost. The proposed building, located across the street from the Air Canada Centre, would house about 1.2 million square feet of office space and fill a void in the Caisse's real estate portfolio. Only one of SITQ's four Toronto-area buildings is in the city's downtown core.

45bay.jpg

i meant driving downtown is going to be insanely FUN. I use to hear my grandparents talk about just driving around for fun and no purpose and use ti think that sounds boriiiiing. But even if I have no reason to drive downtown I am sure Ill take a couple trips just for the view. I cant believe ill be the only one.

Actually I agree with you sr.

My response was in fun, too.

BuzzBuzzHomes had stated earlier today that the renderings he has seen are way different then the ones posted by BlackTower and others floating around.
Okay.. If everyone is posting 120 Harbour information, then I guess it is time to post what we have.. coming up! / @Urbanation @BlacktowerTV
later twitting this....
...we just had a group meeting, & we will not be posting anything on it yet. Images / info are still not finalized. 1 more week.

So hopefully by next week we will have a clear rendering and more details.

Back