News   Mar 28, 2024
 90     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

The Weather

Wonder how many people have no room in their garage for their car.

How many others park on the street instead of their own driveways? And then they complain that the snowplows dumped snow windrows around their parked cars on the street or that the windrows narrow the street making passing difficult.

Video proof Toronto drivers are idiots!!

http://video.theloop.ca/home/watch/...te&page=1&lineupid=1995280562001#.URWqifJZo7s

Mazda Miata got stuck and some guy's Smart car got stuck and another genius thought today would be a good day to ride a bike! lol

Lots of idiots on the road - that's for sure! but what strikes me from watching the video is why didn't police close off this road to traffic? Clearly the conditions were dangerous and the road should have been closed until proper snow removal and salting could be done. Instead we have a cop standing on the side of the road giving a TV interview while traffic mayhem erupts behind him? What's wrong with this picture? I am sure that most of the people stuck on that hill thought the road was passable and would have appreciated if police had blocked the road.

On a positive note - as someone who has lived downtown for decades, I noticed this year - for the first time - that the city is actually attempting to plow the major sidewalks right away. Under previous regimes at city hall it was left to the property owners downtown to clear the sidewalks which led to much more perilous conditions for pedestrians.

Last edited:
How many others park on the street instead of their own driveways?
I feel fairly confident that the answer is zero, why would they?

I know a lot of people park on their driveways instead of in their garage since all their tools and equipment like lawnmowers/snowblowers are stashed away in the garage. I don't think I know anybody who parks on the street instead of their driveway. Particularly when you're anticipating a large snowfall, parking on the street is a guaranteed way to be blocked in after the snowplows come around!

Lots of idiots on the road - that's for sure! but what strikes me from watching the video is why didn't police close off this road to traffic? Clearly the conditions were dangerous and the road should have been closed until proper snow removal and salting could be done. Instead we have a cop standing on the side of the road giving a TV interview while traffic mayhem erupts behind him? What's wrong with this picture? I am sure that most of the people stuck on that hill thought the road was passable and would have appreciated if police had blocked the road.

On a positive note - as someone who has lived downtown for decades, I noticed this year - for the first time - that the city is actually attempting to plow the major sidewalks right away. Under previous regimes at city hall it was left to the property owners downtown to clear the sidewalks which led to much more perilous conditions for pedestrians.

I think even snowploughs and salters lost their way yesterday and today.
Your kidding about sidewalks right? Adding city services under Rob Ford? It's just not true about recent sidewalk clearings, the City (or it's contractors) have been doing sidewalks downtown since at least the 90's, most likely before that. If anything small secondary streets are being overlooked, two small streets near me have not been cleared once yet this season, usually they are among the last streets to be cleared. Strange thing is, the park between the two streets has had it's walkways cleared within about a day or two after each snowfall. Go figure.

Last edited:
15-20cm used to be a regular event not even a decade ago when we still had real winters here, today it's "snowmageddon". People aren't used to driving in these conditions anymore and have lost their skills driving on slippery and snow covered roads. Everyone laughs about Lastman calling in the army, which was a bit dramatic but we did get around 70-80cm over 24 hours, then it was gone four days later after a warm system moved in.

We got 25cm of snow during that storm thogh.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. It was very windy and all snow fell from the roofs too. It was actually a lot of snow, at least to shovel on the driveway. On my street there were a few cars that stuck too.

Winter storm watches are overrated! :p

I was out Thursday night and nary did an ice pellet or snowflake fall on the ground. I drove home at 11pm on perfect road conditions.

Just because you didn't see any ice pellets doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It did a lot of damage outside the GTA. High winds ripped roofs. Freezing rain knocked down power lines and trees across southern Ontario. Guelph/Waterloo/Kitchener area had power outages for most of Friday. Overrated?? DON"T THINK SO!!!

Last edited:
We got some of the strongest winds I've seen in many years downtown. The winds threw stuff all over my balcony including blowing over a balcony chair (about 10 pounds) and blew one of my trellis's down. Snow, freezing rain and ice pellets came and went too. Hopefully this is the end of it.

Can't stand hearing people constantly complaining of the weather patterns and being cold in Canada. It is what it is. Pearson International's waiting for you.

Back