News   Apr 19, 2024
 14     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 722     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.8K     2 

Avonshire (Yonge/401, Tridel/K&G, 14 + 21 + 3x 22s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Traffic at Yonge and Avondale is going to be an even bigger mess. Isn't the eastern ring road (Doris) supposed to connect down here at some point?

"At some point" requires demolishing a medium-sized office building. I do expect *something* south of Sheppard soon, if only because the service road goes south of Sheppard on the west side of Yonge, and because Cosmo currentlys backs onto the side of one house.

And besides, those buildings (are they late 70s or so?) are old enough, and low-rise enough, to be redmarked for expropriation...

That office complex is certainly not worth rejigging the road network for. They can all relocate to the new Hullmark offices next door.

I think the idea was to use part of the Catholic School HQ lot to take Doris a bit east and then run down the east side of the office building. There may have been a thought to do the same on the west side but there's way less room there. My memory is hazy about it but that's what I recall.

You're talking about the Proctor & Gamble building...we're talking about the little concrete complex on the south side of Sheppard east of Radiance. Savvy will only go where it's going because the road isn't planned to go there...the service roads and resulting future lot shapes were planned decades before Savvy.

Besides, I never said I'd *want* them to; merely reporting that such "obsolescence"-after-30-years is not uncommon these days.

And besides, on a personal level, they're decent 70s buildings, why waste the embodied energy, etc...

You're talking about the Proctor & Gamble building

Why would you think that considering Proctor & Gamble is on Yonge?!? The two mid-rises in the complex account for the 16 storeys, 250 000 sq. ft.

Savvy will only go where it's going because the road isn't planned to go there

WoW ... missed the point entirely

Besides, I never said I'd *want* them to

I'm fully aware of your stance on re-development for the sake of re-development

Why would you think that considering Proctor & Gamble is on Yonge?!?

Because no one ever refers to low-rise offices by the total number of storeys in the complex and because, if memory serves me correctly, the Proctor & Gamble building is ~16 storeys.

WoW ... missed the point entirely

You didn't have a point. The service road was almost certainly planned to go exactly where it's going back in the 80s..."running into Savvy" has nothing to do with it. But I didn't remember where the road was going - that it was eating part of TCDSB's lawn to shift eastward and running down into Tradewind rather than Everson - until I saw the document you linked to, which affected whatever I posted earlier in this thread.

Tridel posted some new renderings on their website.

A little variety would have been nice.
Phase I buildings
building_440.jpg

aerial1_640.jpg

aerial2_640.jpg

I'm already not a fan of the Avondale neighbourhood, but Avonshire is much worse. The towers look like precast termite mounds. The townhouses, while not a rabbit's warren of bizarreness, are quite token. While there may be a token convenience store + dry cleaners in one of the bases, these towers will be a good 5-10 minute walk from anything, including any stores on Yonge or the subway...residents will end up driving almost everywhere.

Back