Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Edit: Thanks again for the photos, Caltrane. I know I don't thank you enough, but I really appreciate the effort you put into posting so many photos. This site wouldn't be the same without you.

no problem. now that Trump is almost finished, this is the main project on the board. Don't think One Bloor will overtake it even when its above ground level

IMG3566-L.jpg

Great photo, but again - what is with those horizontal lines on those ground floor windows/spandrels? Why are they so utterly random in height - except for the last two, which for some reason match? Surely there's a more sleek way to put this building together. It *really* feels like, "Oh crap we need to get the drawings out to meet the construction deadline - don't worry that it doesn't make sense!"

Passing by this incomprehensible building makes me want to cry.

Great photo, but again - what is with those horizontal lines on those ground floor windows/spandrels? Why are they so utterly random in height - except for the last two, which for some reason match? Surely there's a more sleek way to put this building together. It *really* feels like, "Oh crap we need to get the drawings out to meet the construction deadline - don't worry that it doesn't make sense!"

Passing by this incomprehensible building makes me want to cry.

Its not possible for the windows to be uniform since there is a noticeable gradient along this stretch of Yonge. We can see this on the College Park ground floor where the downward sloping sidewalk is quite pronounced.

Sure, the lines follow the grade of Yonge, but they don't do it gracefully. Why not have the bottom line follow the grade on an arc, or even just a slope? Why not just eliminate the bottom line altogether and have progressively shorter panes of glass? It looks like it was designed by an engineer, not an architect.

Sure, the lines follow the grade of Yonge, but they don't do it gracefully. Why not have the bottom line follow the grade on an arc, or even just a slope? Why not just eliminate the bottom line altogether and have progressively shorter panes of glass? It looks like it was designed by an engineer, not an architect.

Yep, if a slope is inevitable, as it is here, account for it at foot level, not eye level.

Yep, if a slope is inevitable, as it is here, account for it at foot level, not eye level.

A very basic principle on such a gradual slope that you'd think G+C would have been capable of. This building has a cool and dramatic massing/shape but it's certainly not going to win awards for design excellence or attention to detail.

Back