Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

Anyways, I think the reporter got a little confused. The Delta is going ahead and should be in the ground by spring. The second office tower will need some pre-leased space before it goes ahead.

Actually there have been more then a few rumors about it being built on spec (i.e. no leasing first) ... not sure it'll happen but we'll see.

Looks like these two buildings are going up sooner than we think...i cant wait to see the Delta hotel up and running, i'm also keeping my fingers crossed that they get rid of that derilict piece of junk at Yonge and Gerrard and thus make way for a two tower mixed-use office/condo development on Gerrard all the way to Bay st.

Looks like these two buildings are going up sooner than we think...i cant wait to see the Delta hotel up and running, i'm also keeping my fingers crossed that they get rid of that derilict piece of junk at Yonge and Gerrard and thus make way for a two tower mixed-use office/condo development on Gerrard all the way to Bay st.

A project of that nature would compliment Aura quite nicely I would say.

That would be a huge demolition, but probably worth it given the value of that real estate. I am sure Delta has been embarrassed to have its name on that pile, no other hotel could afford to renovate it, so this could happen. Come to think of it, that is one HUGE block. You could take everything down aside from the storefronts on Yonge.

That would be a huge demolition, but probably worth it given the value of that real estate. I am sure Delta has been embarrassed to have its name on that pile, no other hotel could afford to renovate it, so this could happen. Come to think of it, that is one HUGE block. You could take everything down aside from the storefronts on Yonge.

It may be ugly but it is the biggest hotel in Toronto and is often fully booked by conventions. I bet it makes them LOTS of money.

It may be ugly but it is the biggest hotel in Toronto and is often fully booked by conventions. I bet it makes them LOTS of money.

Yeah, big old and ugly and makes money... but by the time these new six or so 5-star hotels and six or so 4-star hotels are operating in full steam here in Toronto that hotel unit wont stand much of a chance of survival.

Guess, they are using years of massive profits from that property, to finance the construction of the new hotel on Bremner.

It's too well-used to be "derelict". And it's too urban-intensification in its own right to make for a plausible demolition prospect...

The Delta Chelsea is an EXCELLENT hotel. My favourite. And the location is part of what makes it so great.

Enough of this "it's only good if it's new or heritage" nonsense.

Guess, they are using years of massive profits from that property, to finance the construction of the new hotel on Bremner.

I highly doubt the two properties have the same ownership. The hotel brands have long given way to pension funds and hotel REITS to build hotels.

One of the largest in Canada is Innvest

http://www.innvestreit.com/portfolio/map/

The Delta Chelsea is an EXCELLENT hotel. My favourite. And the location is part of what makes it so great.

Enough of this "it's only good if it's new or heritage" nonsense.

Well, I don't think it'd ever win prizes in architecture or urbanism--however, we're also dealing with a "too big/familiar to fail" situation. And besides, at least it's "midblock"; and there's something about the shoehorning-in of that 70s MGM-Grand-ish international-hotel-modern (especially with its 80s additions making it even more humongous) that really, ironically invigorates that general area--it's less obtuse than Harbour Square or the Hudson's Bay Centre, even if in spite of itself...

The Delta Chelsea is also in the midst of extensive interior renovations suggesting it's here to stay.

I could see Ryerson scooping up the Delta Chelsea and use it as a massive dormitory.

Not likely - it's been stated that Ryerson doesn't want to be directly involved in any student residence projects. Besides, the site is probably too good for such a use - I would expect any new student housing sites to crop up on the eastern edge of the campus instead.

AoD

Back