Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

For some reason all this talk of Ripley's and an aquarium reminds of the monorail episode of The Simpsons.

For some reason all this talk of Ripley's and an aquarium reminds of the monorail episode of The Simpsons.

"We're twice as smart as the people of Shelbyville. Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it!"

-Mayor Diamond Joe Quimby

And the invocations of the Gatlinburg Ripley's leads me to think of the Knoxville World's Fair episode...

Downtown aquarium planned for Toronto

Canada Lands Company enters into lease agreement with Ripley's Entertainment, Inc. to build 150,000-square foot facility at the foot of CN Tower
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-aquarium-planned-for-toronto/article1421161/

A new 150,000-square foot aquarium could be coming to the foot of the CN Tower.

If approved by city planners, the aquarium would be a major addition to Toronto's waterfront and the first brand new tourism attraction to open in the city in years, said Gordon McIvor, the vice-president of the Canada Lands Company, the Crown corporation which owns the CN Tower and the five-acre plot on which the aquarium would be located.

Canada Lands has entered into a long-term lease agreement with Ripley's Entertainment, Inc. to build and operate the aquarium.

“The site is great, it's right in the tourism hub,†said Tim O'Brien, the vice-president of communications for Ripley's, famous for its “Believe-It-Or-Not†franchise but also the operators of two major U.S. aquariums. “The location is magnificent for us.â€

Mr. O'Brien said it's too early to say what species of sea life the aquarium would feature. The company and Canada Lands are waiting to see how much of their proposal survives the city zoning process that is about to get officially under way at a community council meeting next Tuesday.

However, Mr. O'Brien said he is “comfortable†the project will go ahead. Mr. McIvor said he would like to see the first phase of the aquarium open in two years.

According to a report to the Toronto and East York Community Council, the proposed development would include the aquarium on the lands west of the CN Tower, next to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, and a 47,000-square-foot retail and restaurant complex on the east side of the tower.

The aquarium would open in two phases: A first phase of approximately 96,000 square feet and a second phase of about 54,000 square feet.

Mr. McIvor praised the project a potential boon for Toronto's shoreline. “This will enhance all of the businesses in the waterfront area,†he said.

Mr. McIvor further noted that "The exhibits are Fun and Educational at the same time. Capital F. Capital E".

Toronto Aquarium = 150,000 sq/ft
Georgia Aquarium = 550,000 sq/ft

The above figures illustrate that the proposed Toronto Aquarium, if built, will without a doubt be a third rate "bush league" "attraction". Since it will be built on every sq/in of the small 3 acre site there will be no chance to expand it in the future. If it gets built I think it will preclude the City from ever building a real world class Aquarium :(

Toronto Aquarium = 150,000 sq/ft
Georgia Aquarium = 550,000 sq/ft

The above figures illustrate that the proposed Toronto Aquarium, if built, will without a doubt be a third rate "bush league" "attraction". Since it will be built on every sq/in of the small 3 acre site there will be no chance to expand it in the future. If it gets built I think it will preclude the City from ever building a real world class Aquarium :(

The ROM's not the largest museum in North America. Perhaps we should tear it down before anyone notices.

It does sound rather half-assed to me as well. It doesn't have to be the biggest one out there, but it should be the largest one in Canada and comparable to the best ones in the US. And can we please not have Ripley's name on it?

It does sound rather half-assed to me as well. It doesn't have to be the biggest one out there, but it should be the largest one in Canada and comparable to the best ones in the US. And can we please not have Ripley's name on it?

I think it will be the largest in Canada as pointed out earlier in this thread.

The ROM's not the largest museum in North America. Perhaps we should tear it down before anyone notices.

I'm not saying it has to be the largest in North America. The ROM is a 5th. largest museum in NA which is a very respectable rank and is what I would expect for a city our size. I doubt that this Aquarium would even rank in the top 10 in NA.

Yeah but this is a private sector initiative - on what basis should the city refuse this scheme other than planning merit? "It's not big enough" doesn't sound like a terribly convincing argument to me.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm not saying it has to be the largest in North America. The ROM is a 5th. largest museum in NA which is a very respectable rank and is what I would expect for a city our size. I doubt that this Aquarium would even rank in the top 10 in NA.

It may not be as large as the Georgia Aquarium, which is the largest in the world, but it will still be significant. I don't know how accurate this person's numbers are, but according to this link and wiki, Vancouver currently has the fifth largest in North America, and ours will surpass it. So, if anything, our aquarium will have a similar stature as the ROM.

Last edited:
I was at NY's only aquarium today and it is not that large or that extensive in style, or attactions within it, it is a basic aquarium. I don't know if that makes anyone feel any better, but it was still decent and had some interesting fish residing in it.

Last edited:

Back