125     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there tremendous waste at all levels of government? YES. Including the municipal level.

However, transit (specifically new transit) costs billions and new revenue sources. Whether people like it or not, it requires new taxes. There is no other way around it.

Can you please tell us where this waste at the municipal level is.

We paid the folks at KPMG $400,000 to find some and they came up with nothing. And by nothing, I mean $10 Million which is practically nothing when you have an annual operating budget of $11 Billion.

I just speak for myself, I dislike him as a Mayor for numerous reasons I've stated through these 900-some pages but I don't know him, never met him - so I don't dislike him as a person. I certainly don't hate him. Best case scenario, I'd like to see him step down this week never to return (Doug would be a bonus) and Council votes to install Doug Holyday as Mayor until the next election and Adam Vaughan as Deputy Mayor.

I have never stated on these pages that I wish any harm to come to him, quite the opposite in fact. I praised him for his (failed) weight loss plan and I've stated several times that I hope that he gets the help that he needs for his issues.

Adam Vaughan? The guy who wants to designate the grass at Hart House a "heritage landscape"? The man is a fool.

Subways represent government doing what people want while LRT represents government doing what they want.

And it's a good thing that our elected representatives aren't there to what is popular, but what is best for who they're representing. Imagine if every issue came down to what was popular? Our country would be in ruins.

I noticed about an hour ago breaking news reports that human remains have been found in the Shuter and Parliament area.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/05/27/human-remains-located-on-shuter-street/

Of course there may not be any connection between this and the Ford investigation although it is interesting to note that Shuter and Parliament is in the heart of the downtown Somalian community.

Also I noticed a couple of days after the crack story broke Toronto Police issued a missing person person press release for a man of Somalian descent:

http://newscanada-network.com/missi...Feed:+Newscanada-network+(NewsCanada-network)

It will be interesting to see if he has any connection to the Ford crack-case. Maybe completely unrelated but its always fun to do amateur sleuthing.

Last edited:
Can you please tell us where this waste at the municipal level is.

We paid the folks at KPMG $400,000 to find some and they came up with nothing. And by nothing, I mean $10 Million which is practically nothing when you have an annual operating budget of $11 Billion.

I personally consider police officers that pull in close to 100k a year on average as waste. When our police make more than the ones in NYC, Chicago, or LA, I have to wonder why, and how it's possible. We have a lot of people at the municipal level making more than the should. That is waste for me. We don't have a revenue problem really, we pull in a lot of tax. We simply spend far too much and most of it is on wages, benefits, and "administrative" costs.

There is a lot more waste, but I don't care to get into right now. Or do you think there is no waste? That everything is fine, as is?

Anyway, for transit we're talking multi billion investment (which is necessary) and it requires A LOT more revenue.

Adam Vaughan? The guy who wants to designate the grass at Hart House a "heritage landscape"? The man is a fool.

Gotcha'! :eek:
We have to have a laugh once in a while!

I noticed about an hour ago breaking news reports that human remains have been found in the Shuter and Parliament area.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/05/27/human-remains-located-on-shuter-street/

Of course there may not be any connection between this and the Ford investigation although it is interesting to note that Shuter and Parliament is in the heart of the downtown Somalian community.

Also I noticed a couple of days after the crack story broke Toronto Police issued a missing person person press release for a man of Somalian descent:

http://newscanada-network.com/missi...Feed:+Newscanada-network+(NewsCanada-network)

It will be interesting to see if he has any connection to the Ford crack-case. Maybe completely unrelated but its always fun to do amateur sleuthing.

How do you know he is Somalian, doesn't look Somalian to me. He might be a muslim from Sub-saharan Africa.

And it's a good thing that our elected representatives aren't there to what is popular, but what is best for who they're representing. Imagine if every issue came down to what was popular? Our country would be in ruins.
Exactly. What if there were some politician who promises to give every person a new electric car (rather than build public transit)?

Peepers, I'm getting a 404 on the city link. I live right by the intersection, so I'm quite interested.

It was up a few minutes ago. Didn't read it though.

When the ford crack scandal broke, the National Post article went 404 as they updated it.

Not saying they're related, but who knows?

Donations to Crackstater are still flowing. Someone added $400 an hour ago.

Back to the Chow vs Holyday prospect: bear in mind that while Holyday might make a decent Deputy Mayor and Acting Mayor, it doesn't mean he'd have the stomach to run for Mayor in '14--especially given thats getting up there in years. I think he'd rather settle in safely on Council as long as he can.

As exec-committee'rs go, my bet remains on Michael Thompson as the most-likely/most-electable--and yes: he *can* (not *will*, or *should*, but *can*) win over Chow, which, of course, Fordistas can view as a symbolic victory for "their agenda" (though I suspect Thompson would be much more of a John Tory-ish coalition-builder in Mayoral office)

I got curious about the CNN reporter who contacted an ex-staffer of Ford's and triggered Gawker's first story. I think it's this person:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/newton.paula.html

Her career background seems very Canadian establishment to me. Not really the type to "go after" Ford. I wonder, if she is the reporter in question, whether she was trying to help Ford out, give him a heads up. Because if not, the call seems like a very rookie mistake for a journalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back