Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I look out on this development from the eastern wall of the Liberties. They assembled a crane on the street last Friday evening (in about an hour) and began raising and installing mechanical facilities on top of the western podium roof on Saturday. They seem to stick up pretty high in comparison to the outer building walls. I'm hoping that they are given an appropriate design treatment. Their positioning makes me think that the design has changed significantly from that presented in the physical model at the building's sales centre on Bay Street. I believe the podium roof is to function as an outdoor amenity space. Can anyone comment / elaborate on this?

Skorji, it's possible that what has gone in there is temporary, so that shops in the podium will be able to operate until such time as the tower and mechanicals higher up are completed. The retail portion is supposed to open mid-next year AFAIK. Merely a guess re mechanicals; I have no inside info regarding this.

There's a good run of glass up on the second floor, south side. It was after dark when I saw it, but my impression honestly wasn't positive. It is curtainwall, but the wall is broken up by lots of mullions, and there are two strong horizontal bands running along the elevation so it's broken up that way as well. The mullions don't seem to follow any sort of pattern either, so it's like the wall has just been broken up into dozens of smaller windows for no apparent reason (well, other than that two small windows are cheaper than one large one).

The banding also looks kind of cheap and dated. It was hard to see in the dark but I think they're using stainless caps (either that or I was just seeing the silver of the aluminium pressure plates)

They're installing curtainwall today, too. They had some up on the Yonge St. side when I went by. It's very clear glazing, but I stick to last night's comments about it looking cheap and dated. It's just too broken up to be attractive. It might look better once they get all of the signage installed and you don't notice the facade as much.

They're installing curtainwall today, too. They had some up on the Yonge St. side when I went by. It's very clear glazing, but I stick to last night's comments about it looking cheap and dated. It's just too broken up to be attractive. It might look better once they get all of the signage installed and you don't notice the facade as much.

is this the same type of glass that we first saw on the 1st floor, or is it different? cause i didn't think that looked bad at all..

I took a picture yesterday on my cellphone

DIDN'T EVEN SEE THIS!

photo-2466.jpg

My eyesight is going fast, not even 40 yet.

Yeah it's strange to me, looking back, that of all places, a 75 floor tower was approved at Yonge and GERRARD.

I think it looks sharp. I don't agree with "whatever" about there being too many lines breaking it up. What jumps out to me is the strong horizontal emphasis on the silver mullions. The silver complements the colour of glass well too. :)

Why are the windows different widths? I can't detect a pattern and it just looks sloppy.

Overall, it has an eighties vibe to it - like a remake of the Atrium on Bay.

Back