Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

Then the article proceeds to list all the seven new hotels..... Toronto is not mentioned.

Which is to be expected. They are talking about the new hotels being OPENED in 2010 (including Vancouver's), not the new starts in this year.

Yes i know, just didnt know they were such a big player around the world. This hotel if built could just be the next 5-star hotel for Toronto.

Personally, I've always associated Fairmont Hotels with 4-5 star quality. Do they build anything else?

Royal York was one of the hotels built by CP Rail company. CP Hotels bought the Fairmont company in 1999 and it was spun off from CP Rail in 2001. It took the Fairmont name as that chain had the better name.

Royal York was one of the hotels built by CP Rail company. CP Hotels bought the Fairmont company in 1999 and it was spun off from CP Rail in 2001. It took the Fairmont name as that chain had the better name.

Let's not forget they kept the "Royal York" name in their brand after public outcry, kudos to Fairmount.

Yeah, the site is a fair bit larger than PWCs but probably not large enough to cram in two towers. I could see a 3 or 4 storey commercial podium with a tower above but I doubt it will be much more than 150 metres which is a fair bit above the approved zoning.

I don't expect two towers, but the site could fit two in depending on the orientation and size of the buildings. This came to mind while walking past the site and thinking that the first two Infinity buildings across the street could possibly fit onto the Fairmont block.

I would prefer to see one building in the 150-175m range. I think it should be situated closer to Simcoe leaving enough space for a plaza between this building and 18 York with some seating and perhaps a water feature (although sunlight may be sporadic with 18 York, Ice condos and office building towers, Infinity and Fairmont inevitably casting shadows here). I am having difficulty remembering if there were any benches located around the new Telus/MLS/ACC "square".

I think it should be situated closer to Simcoe leaving enough space for a plaza between this building and 18 York with some seating and perhaps a water feature (although sunlight may be sporadic with 18 York, Ice condos and office building towers, Infinity and Fairmont inevitably casting shadows here). I am having difficulty remembering if there were any benches located around the new Telus/MLS/ACC "square".

Casting shadows on what.... unless you talking about a couple of individuals that might use the bench complaining about insufficient sunlight :eek: Anyways this area is a mishmash of bad planned heights and sizes of structures.

Some details from the public meeting tonight:

* Fairmont not involved, no explanation of their role, if any at all except for past ownership of the lands around the area as CP Rail
* Great West Life is the proponent (backed by BCIMC, also building 18 York)
* Page & Steele/IBI Group (one company now) is the architect
* 2 buildings connected by a 2-storey podium, which will also connect to 18 York
* One 50-storey, ~175m tall residential/hotel tower, situated on the northwest portion of the site connected by a 10-storey podium along Lower Simcoe
* One ~26 storey office building. No specific details, but will be similar to 18 York in terms of massing, height and GFA. ~600,000 sf was suggested). North-south orientation along eastern portion of the site
* Hotel guest drop off/loop and small square between two buildings along the northside of Bremner
* Residential/hotel building requires a minor variance for height increase, but is within density limits
* Office building would require a full rezoning application in the future for density purposes
* Residential units will be high-end rentals. BCIMC wants to maintain ownership of entire buildings, therefore no condominium units
* Fully connected to PATH via 18 York with retail and possibly to MTCC and the Skywalk
* No deals lined up with a hotel company as of yet (at least that's what they said)
* No timeframes given for construction to commence

A design was shown that was fairly decent, however it is very preliminary and was mainly shown to highlight the massing of all the buildings.

Last edited:
Very interesting!

I really don't know how they're going to shove an office tower into this: I'm looking at satellite shots of the site and it's definitely going to be a tight fit.

Fairmont is then out of the picture... Time to take bets on a hotel operator!

That makes no sense. Why don't they do just one tower, with a large podium. Add the 50 on top of the 26, and stack it so that it fits in with the surroundings by using stepbacks.

Very interesting!
Fairmont is then out of the picture... Time to take bets on a hotel operator!

Most likely Delta...........bcIMC Purchases Three More Delta Hotels in Canada

Chris · February 04, 2008

Back in October we wrote a post about the purchase of the Delta Hotels & Resorts brand by Victoria based bcIMC Hospitality Group.

Last week bcIMC announced another acquisition of three Delta hotels, with a total of 916 guest rooms in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario.

“We are very pleased that bcIMC can expand its property ownership portfolio in these three key markets,” said Ed Pitoniak, President and Chief Executive Officer of bcIMC Hospitality Group. “Under the ongoing management of Delta Hotels, these properties and their employees have earned an excellent reputation for guest service and we look forward to their continued outstanding performance.”

The hotels acquired are the 394 room Delta Bow Valley in downtown Calgary, Alberta, the 225 room Delta Bessborough in downtown Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and the 297 room Delta Toronto Airport West in Mississauga, Ontario. The hotels will continue to be managed by Delta Hotels

http://www.vacantready.com/blog/item/bcimc_purchases_three_more_delta_hotels_in_canada/

A Delta makes more sense than anything else. We're going to have a glut of luxury rooms in a couple years, while our mid-range stock is getting kind of dated. It's a better brand to cater to the average people visiting the city for the sports or attractions in that area.

I'm kind of interested that it's a rental building tho. That means this could break ground a lot sooner than I was expecting. Did they have any mention of office tenants?

An office building in this market just won't fly.

If they're not independent of each other I wouldn't expect any action on this one for some time to come. The rental, can of course, commence whenever it likes though.

I think it's too soon to say Fairmont is out of the picture. They currently operate (but don't own) the Royal York, and there's no reason to rule them out as the operator at the Block 7B condo-hotel.

Also, I agree there's about to be a flood of luxury hotel rooms downtown, but the industry seems to think this is the one hotel segment with a serious lack of supply in the city. I guess time will tell if there is actually adequate demand to fill all these new rooms, but it's definitely conventional wisdom in the business that we don't have nearly enough luxury options.

Back