Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

It hasn't been decided just how much protection the sculpture will get yet, but however much glass that entails, much of it will be above the glass. They do want to put the individual elements out of reach of passersby.

This sounds very odd (and regretful). Is there a public sculpture anywhere in the world behind glass like this?

Here's hoping for perfectly clear low-iron glass of course, as well as an aesthetically pleasing deployment of it. I'm guessing that if they could have put in a larger pool (a reasonably wide sidewalk is needed here, so no can do) they could have avoided having to put up supplemental protection for the sculpture: one does not want vandals getting a hold of this thing.

^^^
As you say 42,
If the glass is clear it should not detract a lot. I guess they have to be careful not to make it too clear or someone will bump into it.
Clearly with the small wading pool to reflect people would look up and walk into the water anyhow so they would need some barrier at ground level I would think anyhow.

It's sad we have to cover our art. It's gonna take away from its beauty a lot. But in Toronto they break bathrooms and maybe they would destroy art.

I'm curious, would this sort of protection be taken in say New York or London ? You'd imagine they'd have similar concerns ?

Regarding the sculpture in the park (i.e. the mountain / castle) looking thing, I don't see any protection around that.

I'm curious, would this sort of protection be taken in say New York or London ? You'd imagine they'd have similar concerns ?

Regarding the sculpture in the park (i.e. the mountain / castle) looking thing, I don't see any protection around that.

Kapoor's mountain doesn't have pieces you can beak off it… and it has been the victim of graffiti in the past.

I'm not really sure what strategy would work here ... I think you just need to factor that into the maintenance. Take the giant piece in the park in Chicago, does it need to contend with graffiti ?

Sometimes when you go out of the way to deter people from committing a certain act it may just make them that much more compelled to commit it.

I had a chance to tour both model suites (18th floor) on Saturday. Overall I think the quality of finishing is average. My biggest gripe was the low ceilings. For a product that's suppose to be high end; why in the world would they have 8' ceilings throughout most of the unit. The cheap carpeting in the bedroom was also a disappointment. Most of the other agents present had similar thoughts. Nice looking building though.....

This sculpture is on a highly trafficked public avenue and will be immediately adjacent to a upscale hotel that will presumably have 24-hour surveillance and security. I doubt that taggers, or anyone else for that matter, will really get a chance to be alone with it.

This is not the kind of monolithic work that is more commonly designed for public spaces. It's likely the artist wouldn't have proposed something so intricate if some kind of protected barrier wasn't included.

I doubt that taggers, or anyone else for that matter, will really get a chance to be alone with it.

I'm getting a "Family Guy" type cut away picture on that one. Funny stuff :D

Picture: " Guy in big white underwear and socks only; spooning sculpture"

Last edited:
I still don't get the reasoning. No other sculpture, here or in New York or London has protective glass to protect it from tagging etc.

I had a chance to tour both model suites (18th floor) on Saturday. Overall I think the quality of finishing is average. My biggest gripe was the low ceilings. For a product that's suppose to be high end; why in the world would they have 8' ceilings throughout most of the unit. The cheap carpeting in the bedroom was also a disappointment. Most of the other agents present had similar thoughts. Nice looking building though.....

I agree about the ceiling height. It is 9 feet throughout but there are areas over the kitchen and the bulkheads that do take it down to 8 feet.

I felt that was a design flaw.

The carpeting is actual wool. Hardly "cheap" but they should have continued the hardwood throughout probably. They offered it but at about $10K/bedroom.

They showed you pretty much what you get, as opposed to a showroom with $200K of upgrades buried in there though Ric and that should be credited and apples and apples compared.

I note the Ritz is selling a bit better now with only 22 for sale on MLS compared with about 32 just 1-2 months ago. Developer still has units and don't know the price.

Curious how Trump will do. I guess if SL is a disappointment too that only leaves 4S?

I have to say that I think they "did not do a very good job on the designer choices". And the dining room little table looks almost like plastic. I believe how a place is furnished plays alot and they missed the mark in my view. That said, the kitchens and bathrooms and the floor choice other than the bedroom are great in my view. Furnishings are personal.

Perhaps this should be moved to the real estate forum.

Last edited:

Back