Toronto MuseumHouse | 71.01m | 19s | Yorkville Group | P + S / IBI

28 April 2012: Good meets bad architecture:

111hgz.jpg

has anyone noticed the bathtubs visible on every floor from the east? Same tub on every floor. Only a couple have curtains at this point. Saw some guy putting on his tie walking past there the other day.

Isn't the owner of the medical office building next door and the original owner of the Museum House lands a doctor or dentist of some kind? I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one that grabbed that retail spot.

Isn't the owner of the medical office building next door and the original owner of the Museum House lands a doctor or dentist of some kind? I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one that grabbed that retail spot.

don't know if the above is true, but the ground floor retail was on the market for a long time and marketed to high end retail.
guess there wasn't much interest for that here, or could there be some plans for densification of the building next door so they need new digs?

And here I was hoping for a high end retail store.

On one hand, people say that demand is high, yet space is scarce and on the other hand, space like this goes to waste. However, having said that, I can also see a psychological barrier once u go go passed avenue rd. someone's gotta take the plunge and open a store there move the high end neighborhood over that "hump". The place is beautiful, right across the museums, but there's also some cleaning up to do!

If you are hoping for interesting or unique retail at the base of any condo anywhere be prepared to be consistently disappointed. Condos are buildings owned and managed by consensus. Consensus can only solve problems by observing precedent and reproducing it based on the option with the lowest probability of creating controversy.

I must say I really appreciate the aspect ratio or form of this building. It renders interesting what would otherwise to me look like a very cheap and uninteresting building based on the cladding.

It's actually Annex Dental, who are currently in the Jackman Humanities building on St. George; when U of T were kind of jerks about renewing their lease, they decided to move here. They'll be changing their name to Museum Dental once they move in, probably in the fall. (They told me the story while I was getting my teeth cleaned last week...)

Back