News   Mar 28, 2024
 500     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 401     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 743     0 

Adam Vaughan, Shelley Carroll consider mayoral run in 2014

Hahaha, she is a switch-hitter........ Stintz most likely will be chewed up, or burnt out by election time.
The days of a left-leaning mayor getting elected in this city are pretty well over ...Id say, the next mayor of Toronto will be a centre-right outsider

Uh, "switch-hitter" or not, Stintz is about as left-leaning as Jane Pitfield. IOW her supposed current appeal *is* that of a centre-right outsider (at least, outsider relative to Ford)

But I do agree that because of those varied contradictions, Stintz might not turn out to be as up to the fight as some would like her to be. Right now, there seems to be a big whack of Sarah-Thomson-supporter naivete about the Stintz-for-mayor cheerleading...

Everyone is suggesting that Adam Vaughan would need to win the suburbs, but the Toronto Sun published a poll that showed Vaughan would easily win Etobicoke if he were to run. Its not that far fetched.

I want Vaughan to be our next mayor. He is a true visionary and a great leader unlike Robbie.
I agree. Being a long time reporter for CityNews, he knows how to connect with people, even if they disagree with him.

It would have been funny if Adam Vaughan were to run for mayor of Vaughan. Fortunately, that would not happen and I hope that there is nobody in Vaughan whose surname is Toronto would run for mayor.

Hall *nearly* won in the first megaelection of 1997--and probably would have won or dead-heated it if it weren't for North York giving its native son Mel a landslide.

Though incredibly enough, it was considered a bit of a shocker when Hall won in the former city of Toronto in '94--the eternality of Art Eggleton followed by Rowlands' victory over Layton made many on the left despair than anyone on "their side" (and remember that Hall was NDP-caucus in 1994) could ever win again. And this is the *former* city we're talking about. Not the suburbs robbing the urbans, but the middle/upper-middle LibTory North Torontoans, Beachesers, Bloor Westers robbing the inner-cityers...

How far we've come is remarkable. (That said, I wouldn't bank exclusively upon Vaughan or Carroll--indeed, as I've offered before, I can see a Michael Thompson taking over from a disgraced Rob Ford on a "stay-the-right-of-centre course" platform, and winning.)

Mike Thompson is a self involved jerk. Also would be a good candidate though.

Mike Thompson is a self involved jerk. Also would be a good candidate though.

Exactly. Cynically speaking, he's the perfect potential-mayoral self-involved jerk. (Better than a Minnan-Wong, let alone a Mammoliti or pick-your-Ford.)

Adam Vaughan is in many ways ideal; but much like Ford, ironically enough, his strength is through councillor-level fine-detail minutiae, the kind of stuff that dissipates through mayoral command--and unlike Ford, he realizes it. (Of course, it's a different kind of "minutiae", and not the dumb stuff of listening to constituents' calls about potholes and evil landlords and whatever.)

If Toronto restructured itself along the lines of a current Montreal-style borough system, Vaughan would make a terrific borough mayor, though.

It would have been funny if Adam Vaughan were to run for mayor of Vaughan. Fortunately, that would not happen and I hope that there is nobody in Vaughan whose surname is Toronto would run for mayor.

It would be amazing if that happened. Someone needs to find a Ms or Mr. Toronto and tell them to run.

If Toronto restructured itself along the lines of a current Montreal-style borough system, Vaughan would make a terrific borough mayor, though.

Exactly, the city deserves a better mid-level political structure for agglomerating wards with similar interests/problems, and a capacity to act on them as they see fit. With respect to Adam Vaughan and other downtown councillors, they work their asses when compared to many suburban councillors, but they receive equal office budgeting with those councillors.

Adam Vaughan is a succinct and eloquent speaker, and his depth of knowledge and balanced commitment to the betterment of the city is praiseworthy. He would make an excellent mayor if he could be compelled to run.

Adam Vaughan is in many ways ideal; but much like Ford, ironically enough, his strength is through councillor-level fine-detail minutiae, the kind of stuff that dissipates through mayoral command--and unlike Ford, he realizes it. (Of course, it's a different kind of "minutiae", and not the dumb stuff of listening to constituents' calls about potholes and evil landlords and whatever.)
I think the difference is that Vaughan is capable of broadening his role, whereas Ford has proven he can't. While I agree that Vaughan is probably a better councillor than a Mayor, I have no doubt he's capable of creating a vision, building a consensus around issues, understanding a broad range of issues in depth, developing realistic solutions to problems and representing the city at the regional, provincial and national level. Reading that again, he's essentially the anti-Ford.

I think the difference is that Vaughan is capable of broadening his role, whereas Ford has proven he can't. While I agree that Vaughan is probably a better councillor than a Mayor, I have no doubt he's capable of creating a vision, building a consensus around issues, understanding a broad range of issues in depth, developing realistic solutions to problems and representing the city at the regional, provincial and national level. Reading that again, he's essentially the anti-Ford.

I think that though the Urban Toronto demographic might like Vaughan, and unlike Comrade Paula he might be able to broaden his demographic somewhat, any serious campaign by him would be killed (or at least wounded) by his opposition to the island airport and support of most things green downtown. In the hands of 'Smear-Ann' Levy and the right wing truthbenders, I expect Vaughan comes off as hard left and unelectable for a large swath of the blinkered center-right (the hard-right would never vote for him 'cause of his mod glasses...)

Back