News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victory.

Bizarre how Ford insists LRT will go over budget, yet he wanted to start drilling for subways without even a plan in place. I suppose if he has no plan and no budget he can't blow the budget.

Well, next stop: Fort York Bridge.

Last edited:
^ Well, it is clear to a lot of us that the Ford supporters elected someone who is incapable.

The loss for Ford is incalculable. Council has behaved responsibly, spending what they know they can spend. Ford has behaved irresponsibly all along, when pressed for a finance plan for his subways.

I'm glad to see Council asserting themselves over the mayor. It's a huge relief, but damn, I wish we weren't going through this. What wasted time this has been. Let's remember it in 2014.

Do you know when in 2015 it will be done. The project needs to be past the point of no return before the next municipal election in October 2014.

Based on today's events at Queen's Park, it would surprise me if we have to wait until Oct. 2014 for the next provincial election. Also, the rhetoric shows that Ford's current campaign mode is increasingly focused on the next provincial election, and not just the next municipal election.

I'm glad to see Council asserting themselves over the mayor. It's a huge relief, but damn, I wish we weren't going through this. What wasted time this has been. Let's remember it in 2014.
IMO it's not wasted time. We all needed a lesson in the workings and hierarchy of municipal politics, especially any future mayoral candidates. Brooms and boiling pots aside, city government under Miller, Lastman, etc. was never this interesting or exciting.

OT, am I the only one who thinks Stintz is cute? Notwithstanding the dreadful photos the Sun finds. They'd make a super model look ugly.

What TTC project has gone over budget, and schedule? Please do not say St. Clair. Stayed on budget.

Whether or not St. Clair was on budget on the TTC component, the way the project unfolded left plenty of fodder for people opposed to transit improvement to spread the message that it was wildly mismanaged. Didn't Roncesvalles also extend over a longer period than originally planned? At the last regular council meeting, McConnell made a statement about major cost increases on the Union project (overall, not just the TTC part).

These are huge unwieldy projects, and our city departments aren't the most nimble. There will be snafus. Proponents may have oversold some of the benefits. This debate has left blood in the water. The slash-and-burn tactics of Ford and his supporters won't cease. LRT supporters are now exposed to every bump in the construction. They'll all be magnified, and the message every time will be that this is happening only because we're not building subways. Ford isn't building anything, he doesn't have to wear anything. He gets to stand on the sidelines and make attempts to undermine everything, all while polishing his image as the fighter for the little guy.

Good move by Council - the line should have been LRT all along. My only wish out of all this is that the line went directly to Scarborough City Centre. Instead it completely bypasses the high density node and meets the SRT somewhere at a random suburban intersection nearby. That spot makes zero sense as an interchange. With not one, but two transfers required between Scarborough and North York centres, the line will be a failure at fulfilling its original purpose.

Whether or not St. Clair was on budget on the TTC component, the way the project unfolded left plenty of fodder for people opposed to transit improvement to spread the message that it was wildly mismanaged. Didn't Roncesvalles also extend over a longer period than originally planned? At the last regular council meeting, McConnell made a statement about major cost increases on the Union project (overall, not just the TTC part).

I think it's fair to say that St Clair was an example of a mismanaged project. But using the excuse of potential mismanagement is not a valid reason to not do a project...it's a good argument to just not mismanage it. It wasn't mismanaged because there's some magical connection between streetcars and mismanagement. If we were to simply expand that concept, then anything could be mismanaged, and therefore we should do nothing....especially subways, where the budgets and timeframes are much larger, and therefore the potential mismanagement being more costly.

Funny, looking at the video of the council proceedings - isn't he the one in the cage behaving like one? Or was that his brother?

AoD

The Fords: the Fester + Karbunkle of municipal politics

martingoruila.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back