Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

It's my understanding that the David Chang restaurants will be in a separate building behind Shangri-La. I think the cube is either for their ballroom/meeting facilities or for the hotel's own restaurant, which according to this press release, is called Bosk.

Gourmet travelers and locals alike will be welcomed into the hotel's signature restaurant, Bosk, which features its own outdoor terrace, idyllic for al fresco summertime dining. Additionally, guests will be rewarded by Momofuku restaurant and bar, independently operated by famed New York chef David Chang.

The hotel's website says this:

The heart of the hotel will be the lobby lounge featuring a 3-storey atrium – an "urban living room" with sidewalk café nestled in the shadow of the boulevard trees overlooking University Avenue... The street-level entrance to the feature restaurant will include a club-style bar, private dining room. These window seating will overlook University Avenue, the new Opera House and Queen's Park. It will be open for lunch, pre / post theatre and dinner.
The Shangri-La Hotel, Toronto, meeting facilities will include approximately 12,000 sqf of function space - all with floor-to-ceiling windows. The function rooms will be located on the 3rd floor and will open onto a landscaped terrace.

I don't know but I don't think that is correct. The hotel's own restaurant will be in the main building at the SE and East side.
I believe Chang is getting 2 floors in the "cube". I am quite sure the hotel meeting facilities is on the 3rd floor of the main building.
The Bishop's Block is going to be a private club for the those in the "arts" world. Not even for the guests or the residences/condo owners and not public space as I understand it which is a shame.

Yes...Bishop's Block will be Soho House...a private arts, entertainment, media members club...they did pop-ups in Toronto during TIFF...so its exciting news...well I guess if you're if a member or a guest of a member that is

I don't know but I don't think that is correct. The hotel's own restaurant will be in the main building at the SE and East side.
I believe Chang is getting 2 floors in the "cube". I am quite sure the hotel meeting facilities is on the 3rd floor of the main building.
The Bishop's Block is going to be a private club for the those in the "arts" world. Not even for the guests or the residences/condo owners and not public space as I understand it which is a shame.

Yes - David Chang's restaurants will be the first and second floors of the cube. The pool is inside the bricked-up area just below the top of the cube. The original plan to make it all open open to the cube was changed as it was felt that it was too public a place - cars and business suits whizzing and walking by along University - and that pool users would likely appreciate more privacy.

I am not 100% sure of the the exact location of Bosk, but I believe that interested is right about it.

IMG3832-L.jpg

April 24: Northwest side

6965388328_2b2b14133b_o.jpg

The top line of glass which surround the penthouse terraces is a light metallic blue which can be sort of be seen in nicetommy's great photo above, as opposed to dark blue for the rest of the building. From from POV it's problematic, on a sunny day my eyes are drawn right toward it. I hope there's a fix or solution to that.

^

this is excellent news. artists like Zhang Huan don't come cheaply...
its always gratifying when developers are willing to spend real money, to acquire genuinely significant works of art.
this is bound to be a great cultural asset for the street.

Last edited:
From that one photo someone posted a page back where a bit of the sculpture is showing, I am already blown away by it. It looks like a very graceful piece that really gives something to the city.

Agree.
Today I was driving past University and part of the covering was removed. The statue appears to be silver coloured and have what looks like a tree with birds flying around it. Quite something for the small part I saw.
Sorry no camera.

The top line of glass which surround the penthouse terraces is a light metallic blue which can be sort of be seen in nicetommy's great photo above, as opposed to dark blue for the rest of the building. From from POV it's problematic, on a sunny day my eyes are drawn right toward it. I hope there's a fix or solution to that.

I don't think the glass for the fins is actually any different then the rest of the cladding. It only appears different because of whats behind it - the sky as opposed to darkened interior concrete walls and ceilings.

I don't think the glass for the fins is actually any different then the rest of the cladding. It only appears different because of whats behind it - the sky as opposed to darkened interior concrete walls and ceilings.
Exactly right. The screen-wall glass is the same as the curtain-wall glass. The only differences that you will notice will be due to the amount or type of light exiting through the units.

Makes sense, but it looks really different, as if it has a reflective quality to it -

Shangri-la_April27-12.jpg

It's also apparent in ponyboy's evening shot below -

for what it's worth, a photo this evening from Wellesley/Jarvis area --
IMG_9824.JPG

There is no difference. The glass type is exactly the same. Any difference that you see is due to the lower floors being completely enclosed by slabs, whereas the screen-wall is on a floor that is open overhead. You can notice this same effect on other buildings, such as Bay-Adelaide Centre, which also used the same type of vision glass for the screen-wall.

Last edited:
There is no difference. The glass type is exactly the same. Any difference that you see is due to the lower floors being completely enclosed by slabs, whereas the screen-wall is on a floor that is open overhead. You can notice this same effect on other buildings, such as Bay-Adelaide Centre, which also used the same type of vision glass for the screen-wall.

I think he's just saying it "looks" different.

Back