News   Apr 23, 2024
 224     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 564     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I have a friend on the BoD of the condo that will house The Real Jerk. I'll see if I can get some more info.

All I could get out of him (I hadn't realized he was not on the BoD anymore)...

I was involved on the board of this condo some years ago, before this kerfuffle got started. I am no longer a resident or involved with the Edge. We always hoped for something like a coffee shop or whatnot, but never thought a restaurant would move in there. I understand why a restaurant of any sort would be a bit of a challenge - smell & noise & extra garbage, etc.

There's also a potential racial component to all this that makes it even uglier. There's no shortage of condos in Toronto with restaurants in their base (including Pic Nic Wine Bar just down the street). At a certain point, you have to wonder if it is actually the "type" of restaurant and not the fact that it will be a restaurant.

There's also a potential racial component to all this that makes it even uglier. There's no shortage of condos in Toronto with restaurants in their base (including Pic Nic Wine Bar just down the street). At a certain point, you have to wonder if it is actually the "type" of restaurant and not the fact that it will be a restaurant.

I didn't want to be the first to come out and say that (though I did hint at it before), but yeah, I agree there is a racial factor in this case.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1T8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 112231 ZSV 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jan 28, 2013

Project: Non-Residential Building Sign

Description: Proposal to erect and display an ovhanging structure sign with readograph display at more than 50% of the sign face. **Jazz Bistro**

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/rumours-rumblings/2013/01/28/lai-wah-heen-changes/

Lai Wah Heen will close after Valentine’s Day—and hopefully reopen two weeks later

When Metropolitan Hotels announced the sale of the Metropolitan Hotel Toronto to the Bayview Hospitality Group last week, many diners were worried about the fate of Lai Wah Heen, the high-end dim sum restaurant on the hotel’s second floor (sister restaurant Lai Toh Heen closed in 2011). Bayview president Alnoor Gulamani told The Dish earlier today that the restaurant will most likely remain open, even though his group will not continue to operate it. Instead, Gulamani said, Lai Wah Heen’s current chef and management will probably end up leasing the space out from the hotel. While plans have yet to be finalized, the restaurant will shut down on February 15 for a post-Chinese New Year clean-up, and should be ready to reopen under the new management arrangement on March 1. Hemispheres, the other restaurant in the Metropolitan, remains unaffected by the hotel’s change in ownership.

Probably. If it was a O&B would there be any problems? Doubt it. If it's a properly built structure there should be no issue with smell.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/rumours-rumblings/2013/01/28/lai-wah-heen-changes/

Lai Wah Heen will close after Valentine’s Day—and hopefully reopen two weeks later

When Metropolitan Hotels announced the sale of the Metropolitan Hotel Toronto to the Bayview Hospitality Group last week, many diners were worried about the fate of Lai Wah Heen, the high-end dim sum restaurant on the hotel’s second floor (sister restaurant Lai Toh Heen closed in 2011). Bayview president Alnoor Gulamani told The Dish earlier today that the restaurant will most likely remain open, even though his group will not continue to operate it. Instead, Gulamani said, Lai Wah Heen’s current chef and management will probably end up leasing the space out from the hotel. While plans have yet to be finalized, the restaurant will shut down on February 15 for a post-Chinese New Year clean-up, and should be ready to reopen under the new management arrangement on March 1. Hemispheres, the other restaurant in the Metropolitan, remains unaffected by the hotel’s change in ownership.

The hotel is going to be renamed DoubleTree by Hilton

Back