News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 684     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 941     0 

Niagara Falls Hilton Phase II (53s, 172m, Stanford Downey Architects)

I sympathize with the question, but no one is going to put up a 58 floor tower in Niagara Falls whose view of the falls is blocked.

I dunno, maybe they'll install a 58 floor water slide on the exterior of this tower to create some visual interest on this side.

kormos_peter060216.jpg

ha ha! gotta love Kormos... he's like the energizer bunny, he just keeps complaining and complaining. His heart is usually in the right place but he's just so annoying... a toss up between him and Olivia Chow for most annoying.

Kormos is beloved by all in Welland. Sure, he's caused Welland to be a forgotten city (see the 406 extension that stops on Welland's border), but he will represent the city for as long as he wants to. There's just no comparison in the city.

As for the view of Welland, I can say it looks great from afar. The canal and river merging and the Main Street bridge look great but from up close the submerged shopping carts and the rusted/graffiti'd bridge just don't have the same appeal.

I'm still trying to figure out if it will be visible from at least the east side of Welland. We could see the falls mist on a clear day and from some spots on the 406 the skyline is easily visible, but it'd be funny if this blight could be seen from anywhere within a 15km radius.

I love the view of the NF skyline from Fonthill as you get into higher elevation. There is also a nice view from the new Hwy 20 overpass of the 406. My girlfriend lives in Welland and is just in the process of moving into a new apartment that backs onto the canal, so I'll get to test out your theory...

I know, it's just having a general yok at stereotypes of who'd live in a canal-facing apartment in Welland...

ha - thats nothing - try doing a search on youtube for "fat belly"

well, no she doesnt look at all like that but I know what you mean. Welland is the punchline to so many jokes and I always tease her about living there. Welland seems to be attracting lots of new residents though, as they have some of the lowest housing prices in the Niagara region apparently.

stay tuned for some more pictures of the Hilton super clunker coming soon...

hmmm... interesting references there, I'll have to ponder over that one for a bit. I do realize you are eluding to the picture with Knight's Inn, but I thought the Masons were the bad guys... secret societies and all.

Did you see the post about the protest against the Church of Scientology in the Out and About Section?

if someone asks I usually say I'm from Niagara... we all do it.

Is she near the near the new or old canal? A lot of the city's more expensive areas are on the west side of the old canal (it's a mix of the old part of town, and new developments). If she's living across from Denistoun though, you might have some interesting stories to tell.

ya, she's in one of those nice condo looking buildings on Deniston, floor to ceiling glass, backing onto the canal. her unit faces southeast so I dont think there is a clear angle to see NF from there...

more Hilton construction photos...

2412839497_90c63c34b4_o.jpg
2413664020_1018a41966_o.jpg

2412836939_705746c161_o.jpg
2413661668_03eb4fc2a0_o.jpg

2413661108_d2a39809f1_o.jpg
2412834493_ef237b54c5_o.jpg

Here's some images of the stalled Crowne Plaza Hotel... the podium section is mostly complete and now nothing is happening.
2412837515_9b58619510_o.jpg

2412836315_64d8aa72b2_o.jpg

2412838813_8e0692f1d1_o.jpg

Back