News   Mar 28, 2024
 13     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

YRT 2011-2012 strike

Privatization doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint, but one thing I do notice with sub-contracted transit services (YRT and GO), is that the employees are much more friendly and helpful than on the TTC. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or if the competition from other potential transit operators forces a higher customer service standard.
I think that's a coincidence. I find Metrolinx ticket and Presto (the ones physically in Union station) staff are extremely friendly and helpful in comparison to TTC ticket staff. And I believe all are employed directly by the agency, rather than being subcontracted. I think it's more Metrolinx's/GO's customer service orientation, which TTC doesn't have.

Agreed. We need to develop a virtuous cycle of intensification and increased transit usage in York Region.

Plus, per capita is fairer to tax payers than per capita ridership, although admittedly cities like Toronto will (and should) always get a bigger slice of the pie than small towns, etc.

There is no point of putting bus lanes on Yonge St and Hwy 7 when every other bus route in York Region runs infrequently (mostly every 30 minutes midday, and 45-60 minutes on Sunday). You simply won't get very much ridership, when using the bus to get anywhere that's not on the VIVA routes is a pain in the behind.

This money would have been much better spent on establishing a 15 minute frequency, all day 7 day a week service standard on all the busier YRT routes such as 4, 8, 20, 85, 88, 90 and 91, maybe a few others.

Looks like talks broke down:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/12/10/yrt-strike-talks-break-down.html

Wow ... employees have to pay 50% of their health plan? I've always worked in the private sector, and that sounds unusual to me.

Why wouldn't any operators who become fully trained working for this company not jump to another agency (or YRT company) at the first opportunity? We keep hearing about TTC operators going to other agencies ... if some of the YRT operating companies pay less, and have such poor benefits, how do they retain staff?

Looks like talks broke down:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/12/10/yrt-strike-talks-break-down.html

Wow ... employees have to pay 50% of their health plan? I've always worked in the private sector, and that sounds unusual to me.

Why wouldn't any operators who become fully trained working for this company not jump to another agency (or YRT company) at the first opportunity? We keep hearing about TTC operators going to other agencies ... if some of the YRT operating companies pay less, and have such poor benefits, how do they retain staff?

Simple, demand ... there isn't that much. Sure MT / BT, expand, but there are still plenty of people in York region that wouldn't find jobs.

in reply to reaperexpress:
this still doesnt change that only poor people take the YRT, and poor people always get shafted. Also, 'friendliness' is entirely subjective. I've met nice TTC drivers, and I've had shit head YRT drivers. it makes me feel better, however, knowing that the TTC drivers can actually support their family. Anyways, were not even talking about how much were really paying them, because us as customers and 'taxpayers' are already paying astronomically, were talking about a multinational middle man who is skimming off a huge amount of our money, and which apparently doesn't even treat its employees reasonably

Ah, but look at all those middle men who can support their family! Don't you feel better that they are supporting their family doing something honourable like profiting from the labour of their fellow human beings, rather than being union members?

Last edited:
There is no point of putting bus lanes on Yonge St and Hwy 7 when every other bus route in York Region runs infrequently (mostly every 30 minutes midday, and 45-60 minutes on Sunday). You simply won't get very much ridership, when using the bus to get anywhere that's not on the VIVA routes is a pain in the behind.

This money would have been much better spent on establishing a 15 minute frequency, all day 7 day a week service standard on all the busier YRT routes such as 4, 8, 20, 85, 88, 90 and 91, maybe a few others.

It is not obvious which of the aforementioned improvements has a better cost-to-benefit ratio. Bus lanes on Yonge and Hwy 7 is a one-time capital cost, but will result in operational savings (since the buses can turn around faster and the same service frequency can be maintained with fewer buses). In contrast, the strategy of running more buses on other streets requires a capital investment (buying those buses and perhaps building a garage) and increases the operational costs.

Looks like the region is looking at an injunction to stop some of the union's tactics:

Region seeks injunction: York aims to limit delays caused by striking transit workers

As promised, striking York Region Transit workers stepped up their action this morning, slowing service and hitting some new targets.

The region hit back, seeking a court injunction to limit the unions’ effect on the 40 per cent of YRT routes that continue to operate.

According to a York Region press release, the injunction was filed to the Superior Court in response to several alleged union actions, which include:

• Complete blockades of transit vehicles;
• Unlawful and unsafe blockages of roads;
• Harassment and intimidation of drivers and passengers;
• Passengers being forcibly held on buses;
• Unsafe picketing, including several picketers struck by vehicles; and
• Regional employees and the public being denied access to regional buildings for up to 90 minutes.

The region hopes the injunction will ease the burden on commuters, while allowing the unions their continued legal right to strike. It is expected to be heard Thursday morning in a Newmarket courtroom.

While there was at least some service on all of the operating YRT routes this morning, only about 70 per cent of buses made it out during the morning rush. Some buses were delayed 15 to 30 minutes, but the most severe effects were felt on routes delayed by as much as an hour.

Members of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1587 and Local 113 set up pickets outside the Keele-Langstaff garage from which Veolia operates the YRT routes not currently shut down by the strike.
They also hit the Newmarket GO station and slowed GO and TTC buses, in addition to YRT vehicles.

For the first time, the workers also directly picketed one of the three contractors.
Miller Transit’s buses operate out of a facility on Woodbine Avenue, in Markham, shared with its garbage trucks. The unions were there today and said they will be there tomorrow as well, when many of the garbage trucks are set to head out across the region on their collection routes.

ATU 1587 president Ray Doyle promised the unions would escalate their activities after appearing before regional council Thursday.

He marched with workers up Yonge Street and then told regional chairperson Bill Fisch they would return to work immediately if the region asked the employers to go to binding arbitration.
Mr. Fisch said he was heartened by a round of brief meetings between the two unions and three contractors and urged all the parties to bargain in earnest until a deal was done.

During the first weeks of the strike, picketing was relatively rare and buses were only delayed about five minutes each. Since then, the number of pickets and the length of delays have increased substantially.

During the two-week Viva strike in 2008, York Region also sought an injunction to ensure the delays did not unduly affect commuters. At the time, the union was picketing at Finch Station, causing delays as long as 70 minutes. Ultimately, the region and union negotiated a deal that ensured buses could enter and exit Finch Station and delays would be minimized.

More than 500 Viva and YRT drivers and maintenance staff have been on strike since Oct. 24.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1266336--smells-a-little-fischy-to-me

Last edited:
So I guess there are no YRT or VIVA busses running yet. Anyone know how else to get the Vaughn Corporate Centre stop with other busses perhaps.

That's that by the Ikea right....where the subway line will eventually terminate? That's fairly easy to reach still.

The YRT 20 and ZUM 501 go by there (both can be picked up at York University), or you can take the 77 along hwy7 (picked up from Finch station YRT platforms). None of these are affected by the strike. I used to take Viva orange past there every day...I've tried all three of these options since the strike started.

So I guess there are no YRT or VIVA busses running yet. Anyone know how else to get the Vaughn Corporate Centre stop with other busses perhaps.

I saw #77 buses of YRT on Hwy 7 Christmas day.

when i was home for christmas, i saw a full page ad in the Newmarket Era (the newspaper) that said that YRT and VIVA would be free for at least a month once the strike is over.

actually a lot of the yrt buses in vaughan are running, check the website for more details. its all of VIVA, and all YRT north of Major Mac, and also other random ones that account for 60% of service which are not running. i think you can still take the YRT there, as it is pretty far south, and in vaughan.

The region has relocated 10-15 Viva buses (the new ones) to their Southwest division (which is still operating) to ease crowding on the route 99. They started Friday and had transit safety and a trainer onboard because the drivers have received minimal training on the articulated buses.

The region has also terminated their contract effective immediately with First Student Canada, who operates the norther routes. They will negotiate a new contract with a new operator and hope to have service restored on February 5 starting with route 98.

Back