News   Apr 16, 2024
 668     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 470     3 

Sherway Gardens to Union Station

mikeUrban

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm moving to One Sherway (right by Sherway Gardens) this summer. I work by Union Station and trying to figure out the quickest public transit route during rush hour.

A) TTC up to Kipling Station and Subway to Union.

B) TTC up to Kipling and Go Transit to Union.

C) TTC down to Lakeshore and Go Transit to Union.

I've attempted all 3 paths, and always seem to average about 55-60 minutes total commute. Go will get you to Brown's Line fast (under 20 minutes) but then you are waiting another 15-20 minutes for the TTC bus to Sherway. They need to get synchronized, because right now, Go Transit just misses the TTC bus when you arrive at Brown's Line.

I wonder if service will be revved-up once the Sherway condos open and there is more demand for service.

Is there a better (non-car) route I'm missing?

I think that's it. Sherway is not a transit-friendly location. I hear that the 123 is surprisingly slow between Kipling and Sherway.

I think that's it. Sherway is not a transit-friendly location. I hear that the 123 is surprisingly slow between Kipling and Sherway.

The OneSherway development is 4 buildings in total. Additionally, I believe that the Toys R Us is being replaced by even more condos. While many of these residents are probably car people, I'm sure there are also a fair amount of public transit users moving in. So hopefully the TTC will respond to the increased demand accordingly, otherwise my commute is going to really suck.

Given that Sherway Gardens is in the natural path of any future subway expansion you should be glad you bought in before condo prices in that area balloon. I get your headaches with the 123 along congested Dundas + subway combo as I live even further out of town and don't take well to multiple hours a day spent on commuting.

If the 80 Queensway bus were regular service I'd recommend that route as Queensway/Parkside are little trafficked and bypass alot that the subway can't or just take the GO and have a taxi pick you up from Long Branch when you can afford it.

Given that Sherway Gardens is in the natural path of any future subway expansion you should be glad you bought in before condo prices in that area balloon. I get your headaches with the 123 along congested Dundas + subway combo as I live even further out of town and don't take well to multiple hours a day spent on commuting.

If the 80 Queensway bus were regular service I'd recommend that route as Queensway/Parkside are little trafficked and bypass alot that the subway can't or just take the GO and have a taxi pick you up from Long Branch when you can afford it.

That's very good to hear. Not that I will benefit commute-wise as we won't be staying there for more than 2-3 years, but by then, an expansion may have begun (or at least announced) so it might help the resale.

So what are you saying... maybe 10-15 years before they do anything?

MoveOntario 2020 doesn't make any provisions for a subway expansion to Sherway Gardens, and with a name like "MoveOntario 2020", I think that gives you a good idea just how soon a subway expansion is likely.

I'd say there's a decent chance of seeing a Queensway LRT ROW built in that time though. I remember seeing that stretch highlighted in a city document as an avenue slated for densification and subsequent higher order transit. It's a perfectly obvious spot for this - the Queensway ROW already goes as far as Humber before turning south to Lakeshore Blvd, it's a commercial strip with more residential coming, Sherway makes a natural terminus, and it's wide enough to make construction a cinch. I wish they'd get on with it already!

Back