Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

Okay, I know I might have said nice thing about this bridge in the past, but I've completely changed my mind now that it's nearly completed. This bridge is seriously ugly. The scale is all wacky. The way it meet Front street is not welcoming at all as the big concrete ramp stares at you as the real entrance to the bridge proper isn't even visible from street level. The little add on design features are tacky and will date super fast. It does look like it was built on the cheap. And the colour? Meh, not sure, don't even know if I like that. It looks better from further away and then not on a human scale as you get closer to it. Why couldn't we just have something simple like this:

09.jpg

Why couldn't we just have something simple like this...

Because Concord was forced to build a bridge by the city as part of the cityplace deal. They didnt want to build it, so they cheaped out. Simple. The only thing that matters is the bridge exists. Despite its questionable form it serves a purpose. Im sure most people living close to it wont care what it looks like at all because to them it will just be an easy way across the tracks.

Serious question: Why traffic lights instead of a crosswalk with those push buttons?

Cars stop for lights, while not stopping for the crosswalk when flashing. Also, to deal with traffic off Portland going east.

Serious question: Why traffic lights instead of a crosswalk with those push buttons?

I recall reading somewhere that the city is no longer installing pedestrian crosswalks, instead opting for pedestrian controlled traffic signals, due to safety concerns. This is why signals were installed nearby on Bathurst St. between Niagara and Wellingston Streets.

I recall reading somewhere that the city is no longer installing pedestrian crosswalks, instead opting for pedestrian controlled traffic signals, due to safety concerns. This is why signals were installed nearby on Bathurst St. between Niagara and Wellingston Streets.
I've always thought those crosswalks were dangerous, light up yellow signs with flashing yellow lights when you press the button. I know as a driver it is often hard to see at a glance when they are on.

I've always thought those crosswalks were dangerous.

I thought everyone in Toronto just j-walked, expecting traffic to come to a screeching halt whenever they felt like stepping off the curb without looking up from their iPhone.

That's a good thing. I've seen too many cars go right through crosswalks, while people were crossing. I'm very careful and even I've had some close calls. I hope no more go up.

I've always thought those crosswalks were dangerous, light up yellow signs with flashing yellow lights when you press the button. I know as a driver it is often hard to see at a glance when they are on.

I remember when they didn't even have the flashing lights. You just pointed to get the traffic to stop.

^I remember being teased by visiting relatives about the Canadian ridiculousness of (1) the notion that one could stop traffic by pointing and (2) the fact that it seemed to work. Apparently not well enough, though.

Pointing to cross isn't used in BC. I think it's more an Ontario thing.
(We also have flashing greens controlled by pedestrians)

Although I won't put my own life at risk by actually trusting the stop lights 100% either. I cross at these lights a few times a week, and often drivers just don't see them; especially the drivers making left turns onto Bathurst from nearby, very close streets; and drivers who try to pass the streetcars stopped nearby.

Back